Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What to use to paint metal black?

I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. My apologies if this
is off topic.

If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now????? I'm feeling
off-sorts, and it just seems so much easier to use a marker, and
there's no chance of spilling the paint.

Details:
The imitation louvers at the rear side of my car's hood are no longer
all black. More than half of it is grey. I guess all the paint is
gone. (AFAICR, it was all fine a year or 6 months ago, but I suppose
that's unlikely.)

They are metal, and normally I would think to use metal paint, but in
this case, it seems the easiest thing to do is use a black indelible
marker, like a Sharpie. I've been using indelible markers for a lot
of things in the last few years** but none as big as this. I have
more than one brand of black marker. So I think I can match the color
and I think the finish will match fine, or I'll just do the whole
louver.

If it doesn't look good after a while, will I still be able to paint
it?????

It's a 95 chrysler with hidden wipers so there is no need for real
louvers. I expect to have the car another two years.

**I painted a brass and pot metal candelabra with a gold indelible
marker and it still looks good years later. I only clean it under hot
water, and the part I clean is real brass. The part I "painted" may
never have gotten wet. (It was bought right after the war when brass
items were hard to get. I had the pot metal part replated once
already. I think maybe I only painted part that broke and I repaired
with PC-7.)

My grey synthetic cloth case for my small camera got dirty, as I knew
it would, going in and out of my pocket over and over on my vacation,
and I "painted" the whole thing black with a marker. So far, it looks
good.

A couple other things I don't remember now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 5:36�pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me that the primer is showing. Painting will prevent any
rust. I doubt a Sharpie will do that and probably either wash off in
time, or deteriorate quicker than paint.

Hank ~~~likes easy fixes, but this ain't it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

rather than use a marker, why not go to a hobby shop and get a paint
pen? Same mode of application, but it dispenses paint, not indelible ink.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

My grey synthetic cloth case for my small camera got dirty, as I knew
it would, going in and out of my pocket over and over on my vacation,
and I "painted" the whole thing black with a marker. So far, it looks
good.

A couple other things I don't remember now.

For all the typing you did to ask the question, you could just about
have painted the louver )

I used indelible marker on my kitchen wall once, for a particularly
important message to my husband....I had painted the kitchen myself with
Ben Moore alkyd semi-gloss. Hubby was able to remove all traces of
the marker and left no scratches ) Not worth telling, but a testament
to Ben Moore paint.

Clean the louver very well. Mask, spray with primer, let dry, spray
with metal paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Sharpies fade pretty quickly outside. In the time it took you to type
your question you could have masked off the area and painted it with a
spray can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:55:02 -0400, George
wrote:

mm wrote:
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. My apologies if this
is off topic.

If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now?????

Thanks for all the replies, especially the paint pen, Nate, but no one
answered the one question I asked, above! :-)

[...]

Or this one, which is the same.

It's a 95 chrysler with hidden wipers so there is no need for real
louvers. I expect to have the car another two years.

Sharpies fade pretty quickly outside.

Probably true.

In the time it took you to type
your question you could have masked off the area and painted it with a
spray can.

But that's not so. I do probably have the paint, but I have to find
it among all the other paint. And the borders are curved. I have to
find newspaper, tape, drive a block away where the overspray won't get
on my meighbor's anything, mask it and spray it. I know myself. I'm
not feeling great and I'm not going to do it unless the marker would
make it harder to paint later, when it doesn't look good but hasn't
come off entirely.

Editorial
Once when I wanted to touch up the paint on my car, I went to a car
wash first. Even though I didn't pay for wax and didn't have my
headlights on, they waxed the car anyhow. I was upset because I
thought it meant I couldn't paint that day. The guy insisted the wax
was next to nothing, and though I thought that too, I still figured it
would last for 2 hours until I finished painting. I painted and the
Duplicolor paint was a perfect match to my Mariner Turquoise GM car.
30 seconds after I painted, I couldn't tell where I had painted. It
looked perfect. AFAInoticed, the scratches and nicks stayed painted
for a long time and the wax didn't mess me up at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Apparently you want to do this job twice because you seem to insist on
using some half-assed way of doing it. Paint is the only way to do it
correctly. Anything else like not wiping your ass after a **** because
it takes too long.

I know it had to hurt when a woman told you what to do. OUCH! :-)

We don't care about your editorial either.

Hank ~~~gets 'er done

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Managed to be vulgar, but still didn't answer the question.

Try to take it easy and not get so upset so easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. ?My apologies if this
is off topic.
If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now????? ?
Thanks for all the replies, especially the paint pen, Nate, but no one
answered the one question I asked, above! ?:-)

Not familiar with the model in question, but if I was gonna bother to
paint it, I'd probably take it off the car (if possible), paint it
inside, and maybe bake it with a heatlamp or in the oven, if the part is
small enough. After scuffing the old surface, and a thorough
degreasing, of course. If I really wanted it to be pretty, I'd take it
someplace and have it powder-coated. Or maybe stop by a junkyard, and
see if I could find one in better shape for a few bucks. Detroit seems
to have trouble with black trim- any I have ever had ended up looking
like crap after a few years. Unless it actually started rusting, I
didn't worry about it.

But to answer the question- nah, the marker won't stop you from
repainting. The surface prep you do (scuffing and degreasing) will bare
enough metal to give the paint a good bite, and the layer of ink is so
thin as to be porous anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

While Hank's delivery may have been a bit rough, he is correct that you seem
set to take the marks-a-lot route on this, which as all have advised is
probably not going to last. If you can't take the time to do it correct, go
for the marker. In a year you will probably be doing it the right way and
will probably not post to the list telling us we were right.

Have a good day.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

mm wrote:
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. ?My apologies if this
is off topic.
If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now????? ?
Thanks for all the replies, especially the paint pen, Nate, but no one
answered the one question I asked, above! ?:-)

Not familiar with the model in question, but if I was gonna bother to
paint it, I'd probably take it off the car (if possible), paint it

I really should look before I write this line, but.... I don't think
it is meant to come off, or at least I'd have to find new connectors
to put it back on.

inside, and maybe bake it with a heatlamp or in the oven, if the part is
small enough. After scuffing the old surface, and a thorough
degreasing, of course. If I really wanted it to be pretty, I'd take it
someplace and have it powder-coated. Or maybe stop by a junkyard, and
see if I could find one in better shape for a few bucks. Detroit seems
to have trouble with black trim- any I have ever had ended up looking
like crap after a few years.

I'm sure it looked okay two years ago, when the car was 13 years old.
Perhaps a little grey showed, but not enough to bother me. But it
makes sense that it might wear out almost everywhere at the same time,
because the only wear on it is the weather and the wind. It seems to

Unless it actually started rusting, I
didn't worry about it.

No rust on the top. The whole surface, grey or black, is fairly
rough, but it's not rust.

But to answer the question- nah, the marker won't stop you from
repainting. The surface prep you do (scuffing and degreasing) will bare
enough metal to give the paint a good bite, and the layer of ink is so
thin as to be porous anyway.

Thanks. That makes sense. Maybe that's why the wax didn't interfere
with my scratch painting years ago.

Mark, thanks for writing. I did have my mind made up from the
begining. I notice now that I did ask an open-ended question in the
subject line -- maybe the bad result this time of a normally good
habit -- and I apologize if that overly influenced anyone. But in the
body of the post, the only question I asked was whether the the
Sharpie would interfere with painting later. If it would, then I'd
switch to painting now, which is why I wrote the subject line as I
did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 23:02:04 -0400, "Mark" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Marks-a-lot will not look black. Ii will look purple.

Leaving it the way it is would look better, and offer just as much
protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. My apologies if this
is off topic.

If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now????? I'm feeling
off-sorts, and it just seems so much easier to use a marker, and
there's no chance of spilling the paint.

Sharpie ink can be removed with alcohol.
End of discussion.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

The reason no one has answered your direct question is most likely
that no one here has ever tried what you want to do. I certainly
wouldn't.

I do happen to have a small sign outside written in indelible marker
on plastic. I have to redo it every few months because it fades until
you can't read it. (It looks bad within weeks, but in this case I
don't care.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

But that's not so. I do probably have the paint, but I have to find
it among all the other paint. And the borders are curved. I have to
find newspaper, tape, drive a block away where the overspray won't get
on my meighbor's anything, mask it and spray it. I know myself. I'm
not feeling great and I'm not going to do it unless the marker would
make it harder to paint later, when it doesn't look good but hasn't
come off entirely.

So remove the thing that needs paint and decamp to your living room where
you can spray the item to your heart's content. No masking, no neighbor, no
hunting for paint - except in the Rustoleum aisle at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 12:29�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:

But that's not so. � I do probably have the paint, but I have to find
it among all the other paint. �And the borders are curved. �I have to
find newspaper, tape, drive a block away where the overspray won't get
on my meighbor's anything, mask it and spray it. �I know myself.. I'm
not feeling great and I'm not going to do it unless the marker would
make it harder to paint later, when it doesn't look good but hasn't
come off entirely.

So remove the thing that needs paint and decamp to your living room where
you can spray the item to your heart's content. No masking, no neighbor, no
hunting for paint - except in the Rustoleum aisle at Home Depot.

Can't you see that he had his mind made up from the beginning? He
never planned on painting it in the first place. I don't know why he
asked the question in the first place. Must be a troll that does
shoddy work.

Hank ~~~never ceases to be amazed

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:32:14 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys
to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. My apologies if this
is off topic.

If I "paint" metal with a black indelible marker, and it doesn't look
good 6 months from now, will I still be able to paint it with real
metal paint, like maybe I should do it now????? I'm feeling
off-sorts, and it just seems so much easier to use a marker, and
there's no chance of spilling the paint.

Sharpie ink can be removed with alcohol.

That's great. Thanks.

End of discussion.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 09:11:27 -0700 (PDT), Larry The Snake Guy
wrote:

The reason no one has answered your direct question is most likely
that no one here has ever tried what you want to do. I certainly
wouldn't.

I do happen to have a small sign outside written in indelible marker
on plastic. I have to redo it every few months because it fades until
you can't read it. (It looks bad within weeks, but in this case I
don't care.)

It might happen to me too. Thanks for the warning. We'll see. (That
also means I'll be able to paint it. )

Posting back to tell you all what happens, like someone suggested, is
difficult in this group, because there are so many posters and so many
posts, and who reads what is posted seems to depend on multiple
fators, like time of day, etc.

I used to keep a map on my dashboard, and after 2 or 3 years, all the
red streets disappeared entirely. The green streets and black streets
seemed fine. Different ink of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:

So remove the thing that needs paint and decamp to your living room
where you can spray the item to your heart's content. No masking, no
neighbor, no hunting for paint - except in the Rustoleum aisle at
Home Depot.

Can't you see that he had his mind made up from the beginning? He
never planned on painting it in the first place. I don't know why he
asked the question in the first place. Must be a troll that does
shoddy work.

You may be right.

I thought he was playing the game of "Yes, but..." as in "Games People Play"
where the original questioner keeps raising objections to the proffered
suggestions until the "expert" give up in disgust. Each can then leave the
"game" with an (negative) emotional payoff.

By me coming up with a bizarre, put plausible, solution, the original poser
can get his negative prize ("He's ****in' with me! I don't get no respect!")
and I can get a positive one ("I ****ed with him.")

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:49:36 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Hustlin' Hank wrote:

[...]

Other than the subject line, which can be read more than one way, I
never suggested my mind wasn't made up before I posted, unless people
told me that the marker would make it harder to paint later. That was
my question. At the start no one addressed that, and later 3 people
said it woudnb't make it more difficult. So from my pov, no one gave
me a reason not to use the marker pen. So I'm going with the marker
as I implied I would. Next spring maybe I'll paint it. I have a lot of
other things to take up my time now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 11:26�pm, mm wrote:

Other than the subject line, which can be read more than one way, I
never suggested my mind wasn't made up before I posted, unless people
told me that the marker would make it harder to paint later. �That was
my question. �At the start no one addressed that, and later 3 people
said it woudnb't make it more difficult. �So from my pov, no one gave
me a reason not to use the marker pen. � So I'm going with the marker
as I implied I would. Next spring maybe I'll paint it. I have a lot of
other things to take up my time now.-

They answered your question, it just wasn't the answer you wanted to
hear. Their answer was basically: Why use a marker when it would only
take a couple extra minutes to do it right, which you admit will have
to be done later. In other words, they are telling you it is a stupid
idea.

Hank ~~~~leaving this topic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
robb wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
wrote:
I used indelible marker on my kitchen wall once, for a

particularly
important message to my husband....I had painted the kitchen

myself
with Ben Moore alkyd semi-gloss. Hubby was able to remove

all
traces of the marker and left no scratches )
What was the message (if it can be relayed on a family-oriented

newsgroup)?
The mind reels.

my guess ...

For the F'n last time ...
put the lid down and
clean this F'n indelible pen off this F'n wall and
don't leave any F'n scratches on my F'n fine BM paint job 8^O.

and for an On-Topic question ..

What magic was used to remove the indelible ink from wall with no
scratches ?

robb

No profanity in the message....just a notice of something I had
previously informed him of and he claimed that I had not. Much too long
a story to put on n.g. He used a green 3M pad, of all things. Don't
remember whether he used dish soap or Windex. I was rather sorry that
it all came off, as the issue was (and is) important.

I will never use latex paint in a kitchen or bath again. Ben Moore is
my brand, and will have new residence soon to try it again ) Alone.

I've been accused, by someone who knew me well, of being stubborn. That
friend told me I was more stubborn than my mom! My mom was hard to
beat, but I may have won that one )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 5:36*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

When the black paint came off of my louvers underneath was chrome. I
used paint stripper to remove the rest of the paint and scuffed and
primed the chrome before putting on a new top coat.

Sounds like a few passes with a spray can would fix you up better than
a marker would. That said. the marker wouldn't hurt the application of
paint latter on.

Jimmie