Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher leaves grit on dishes

Van Chocstraw wrote:

BM wrote:
Hello,

my Kenmore diskwaher leave grit and garbage on my dishes. this is not
from the dishes that are put in it. the arems move ok and are not clogged.
drain is not clogged. seems to be heating and filling ok?
any suggenstions hot to fix this? is there a buildup of gunk someplace.

thanks

Take it to the nearest bridge and drop it in the river. Then go buy a
real dishwasher. On second thought, you don't need one, they are energy
wasters. Do dishes by hand.

Dishwashers are well proven to both clean better and use less water and
energy than hand washing dishes (presuming you run it with a reasonable
sized load).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
Hello,

my Kenmore diskwaher leave grit and garbage on my dishes. this is not
from the dishes that are put in it. the arems move ok and are not
clogged.
drain is not clogged. seems to be heating and filling ok?
any suggenstions hot to fix this? is there a buildup of gunk
someplace.

thanks
Take it to the nearest bridge and drop it in the river. Then go buy a
real dishwasher. On second thought, you don't need one, they are energy
wasters. Do dishes by hand.

Dishwashers are well proven to both clean better and use less water and
energy than hand washing dishes (presuming you run it with a reasonable
sized load).

Only for idiots who run the hot rinse water continuously.
I KNOW I use much less water than a dish washer. All I need is a small
bowl with soapy water and a sponge. Turn the water on, rinse, shut the
water off. Some people are so stupid and run a full sink of water and run
the hot water the whole time for rinsing.
A dish washer fills and empties several times using hot water all the time
and use an electrical element to dry like an oven. Total waste of power.
And sometimes they don't even get all the crud off. You either have to
Pre-wash or wash again after. Really STUPID!

How much water would you estimate that you use to wash 10 dinner plates, 10
smaller plates, 30 utensils, 6 bowls and 12 cups or glasses?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote:

-snip-
I warsh my dish in the crick behind my trailer with homemade soap!
Sometime I even warsh the dog dish like that too!

You gots a dog and still needs to warsh dishes? Whatsit crippled in
the mout or sumpin?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

About a gallon.

You're lying. Don't lie. The only other option is that you don't rinse the
soap off sufficiently or you don't use enough soap to have clean dishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Dishwashers are well proven to both clean better and use less water and
energy than hand washing dishes (presuming you run it with a reasonable
sized load).

Only for idiots who run the hot rinse water continuously.
I KNOW I use much less water than a dish washer. All I need is a small
bowl with soapy water and a sponge. Turn the water on, rinse, shut the
water off. Some people are so stupid and run a full sink of water and
run the hot water the whole time for rinsing.
A dish washer fills and empties several times using hot water all the
time and use an electrical element to dry like an oven. Total waste of
power. And sometimes they don't even get all the crud off. You either
have to Pre-wash or wash again after. Really STUPID!

Almost certainly the water in which you are washing dishes by hand is
not as hot as the water in which modern dishwashers wash dishes. Even if
it's 120 degrees F as it comes out of the faucet, it won't stay that way
for long. And your hands probably wouldn't stand it for long.

Almost certainly the dishwashing detergent you use to wash dishes by
hand is not as potent as the detergent designed for dishwashers. If it's
easy on your hands, it's not as aggressive at removing grease, etc.

Certainly (no "almost" this time) you are not rinsing your dishes in
180-degree water, let alone maintaining them at that temperature for
several minutes to sanitize them, as our dishwasher does.

I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't allow "heated dry" to be turned
off.

The only time I've seen crud left on items coming out of our
Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher is when it wasn't loaded properly.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:39:21 -0400, "Jeff The Drunk"
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:14:21 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:45:49 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

Why warsh'em? you gonna just dirty dem agin. Just scrap'em off and re-usem.

I warsh mine once in the spring when the ice on the crick thaws and
once in the fall befer it freezes. Then I let the dawg lick em clean
inbetween.

Yore dawg is named "Soap and Water" I presume.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

I use a little soap and a little bleach. Maybe it's 2 gallons. It don't
take long to rinse the soap off a plate both sides under the faucet with a
slow trickle.

With 2 gallons, that would be just under 4 ounces of water per item. Not
possible. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

All I usually have is 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 bowl, 1 spoon, 1 coffee cup, 1
spoon. 1 gallon.

Oh. In that case, your theory about using less water than a dishwasher just
went right down the drain, and I'm sure you won't understand why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Fri 02 Oct 2009 09:45:28a, Van Chocstraw told us...

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

glasses? About a gallon.

You're lying. Don't lie. The only other option is that you don't
rinse the soap off sufficiently or you don't use enough soap to have
clean dishes.
I use a little soap and a little bleach. Maybe it's 2 gallons. It
don't take long to rinse the soap off a plate both sides under the
faucet with a slow trickle.

With 2 gallons, that would be just under 4 ounces of water per item.
Not possible. Good luck.

All I usually have is 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 bowl, 1 spoon, 1 coffee cup, 1
spoon. 1 gallon.

We normally have enough items to fill a dishwasher on a daily basis, which
does make more efficient use of the amount of water required.

He's having a bit of difficulty with the arithmetic. Maybe this will help,
although I doubt it:

"As of August 11, 2009, ENERGY STAR qualified dishwashers are required to
use 5.8 gallons of water per cycle or less. Older dishwashers use much more
water than newer models. A dishwasher purchased before 1994 uses about 8
additional gallons of water in each cycle compared to a new ENERGY STAR
qualified model."

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=2539

Even an older dishwasher would do better than the gallon "per place setting"
he's talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 7:03*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
[...]

Dept. of Health here test the dish washing sink hot water at our
local school and insist that it be 160 deg F or higher.
So that hot water is fed from a separate hot water heater adjacent to
to the kitchen area. Whereas the hand washing hot water for the
students washrooms is at much lower temperature from another source.
Best way to use dishwasher is to add dishes until it is full and then
run it. I have several cutting board which are used only once
(especially if cutting certain meats such as raw chicken) at a time
and then placed in dishwasher. As a single pensioner mine is run about
two or three times a week and will contain many tea mugs each time!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
BM wrote:
[...]

We had a slight argument in college once concerning who was supposed
to clean a pot that we made mashed potatoes in. So no one did clean
it. It sat for a few months. Finally someone banged it in the sink,
whatever residue that was in it fell out and the pot had cleaned
itself. Given enough space and time, nature will take care of it.
Usually we don't have sufficient dishes for that approach.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:55*am, "Jeff The Drunk" wrote:

I warsh my dish in the crick behind my trailer with homemade soap!
Sometime I even warsh the dog dish like that too!

Brings to mind an old family tale.

My grandfather was a diamond prospector (digger)in South Africa. The
diamond that he used to get engaged to his wife was one that he found
himself. My wife now wears it as a second ring.

Anyway, the life of diggers were kind of rough, and they needed a lot
of water for washing the rough ore to find diamonds, so water was
always in short supply.

After my grandmother died, he briefly went back to prospecting for
diamonds again (some say it was just a guise for smuggling uncut
diamonds, which was illegal in South Africa, but nowhere else in the
world). While on site, I once went to visit him to see how it was done
He invited us for a meal and told the story about another digger who
always invited people over for meals and assured them that his
flatware was "as clean as soap and water could get it." My
grandfather said he stopped going over for dinner after the first meal
when his host gathered the used flatware, took them outside the
trailer, laid them on the ground and called out" "Here Soap, here
Water, dinner!"