Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adhesive for tiling a basement

I am in the process of ripping up old smelly carpeting from the
basement, which I figure to replace with ceramic tile. The basement
is an informal space but I would like it to be livable, i.e., less
moldy smelling. It has never flooded in 15 years, but tends to be a
little humid, damp, whatever in spring and summer, with maybe a little
seepage in the corners in the worst rains. I am planning to use the
cheap big (1 ft. sq.) ceramic tiles. My question is whether to set the
tiles with mastic or quickset. I am tiling over concrete that has
paint on it in places. I lean toward mastic since I have used it
before, it's simple to use, and I don't need this to be a "job for the
ages." In fact if I need to take up some tiles later, not needing a
jackhammer would be a plus. Is there any reason why the mastic would
be unsuitable? Would it become a soggy moldy mess, whereas quickset
would not? thanks, -- H

tiling adhesive: coverage pete UK diy 4 September 15th 08 11:52 PM
Tiling over old adhesive [email protected] UK diy 2 September 28th 07 08:43 AM
Tiling Mosaics - excess adhesive marc_ely UK diy 3 October 31st 06 02:19 AM
Tiling: Adhesive & grout recomendations please MarkK UK diy 4 May 20th 06 10:10 AM
Tiling and adhesive mess James Holdsworth UK diy 12 March 9th 04 10:15 PM