Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default adhesive for tiling a basement

I am in the process of ripping up old smelly carpeting from the
basement, which I figure to replace with ceramic tile. The basement
is an informal space but I would like it to be livable, i.e., less
moldy smelling. It has never flooded in 15 years, but tends to be a
little humid, damp, whatever in spring and summer, with maybe a little
seepage in the corners in the worst rains. I am planning to use the
cheap big (1 ft. sq.) ceramic tiles. My question is whether to set the
tiles with mastic or quickset. I am tiling over concrete that has
paint on it in places. I lean toward mastic since I have used it
before, it's simple to use, and I don't need this to be a "job for the
ages." In fact if I need to take up some tiles later, not needing a
jackhammer would be a plus. Is there any reason why the mastic would
be unsuitable? Would it become a soggy moldy mess, whereas quickset
would not? thanks, -- H