Posted to alt.home.repair

Default adhesive for tiling a basement

I am in the process of ripping up old smelly carpeting from the
basement, which I figure to replace with ceramic tile. The basement
is an informal space but I would like it to be livable, i.e., less
moldy smelling. It has never flooded in 15 years, but tends to be a
little humid, damp, whatever in spring and summer, with maybe a little
seepage in the corners in the worst rains. I am planning to use the
cheap big (1 ft. sq.) ceramic tiles. My question is whether to set the
tiles with mastic or quickset. I am tiling over concrete that has
paint on it in places. I lean toward mastic since I have used it
before, it's simple to use, and I don't need this to be a "job for the
ages." In fact if I need to take up some tiles later, not needing a
jackhammer would be a plus. Is there any reason why the mastic would
be unsuitable? Would it become a soggy moldy mess, whereas quickset
would not? thanks, -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
[...]

thinset on concrete for floors. mastic for walls on drywall. mastic also has
an organic component, and may support mold if kept wet.

thinset is soft. you won't need a jackhammer to get tiles up, although a
chipper would make it go easier and faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 4:34*pm, "charlie" wrote:
[...]

Thinset, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks. Is it tricky to get the
hang of mixing and spreading it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

---
not if you can read the instructions on the back of the bag. it tells you
how to mix it, and what side spreader to use (which depends upon the size of
the tile).

use a straight board at least as long as 3 tiles to make them level. if your
floor has multiple tapers to a drain, it will be trickier. if it's flat,
then it's pretty easy.

home depot teaches free tiling classes. ask there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

charlie wrote:
[...]

We had living and dining rooms (on conc. slab) tiled by contractor with
20" tiles. The tile floor meets terazzo at a couple of doorways and
hallway. The terazzo is about 1/4" higher than most of the tile floor
would have been....to meet the terazzo and have both level, the
contractor just built the thinset higher and slanted the tiles at the
meeting points. You can't see the slant, even knowing it is there. If
there are drains, you might be able to work the thinset to build a
gradual slant. Never done it myself.

tiling adhesive: coverage pete UK diy 4 September 15th 08 11:52 PM
Tiling over old adhesive [email protected] UK diy 2 September 28th 07 08:43 AM
Tiling Mosaics - excess adhesive marc_ely UK diy 3 October 31st 06 02:19 AM
Tiling: Adhesive & grout recomendations please MarkK UK diy 4 May 20th 06 10:10 AM
Tiling and adhesive mess James Holdsworth UK diy 12 March 9th 04 10:15 PM