Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tiling adhesive: coverage

I'm tiling the conservatory floor - about 20m2 in total.

I've just finished my first 10 litre tub of adhesive
and got exactly 50 tiles of 330 mm2 out of it.
The tiles come out at 9 to the square metre, so these
50 cover 5.5m2. The blurb on the adhesive tub says it
covers 12m2, so I'm getting less than half of that.
I don't think I'm slapping it on too thick - just using
a normal tiling float to get the ridged effect.

What are other people's experiences? Is the advertising
misleading, or is there a trick to getting a thinner
layer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
g.com...
I'm tiling the conservatory floor - about 20m2 in total.

I've just finished my first 10 litre tub of adhesive
and got exactly 50 tiles of 330 mm2 out of it.
The tiles come out at 9 to the square metre, so these
50 cover 5.5m2. The blurb on the adhesive tub says it
covers 12m2, so I'm getting less than half of that.
I don't think I'm slapping it on too thick - just using
a normal tiling float to get the ridged effect.

What are other people's experiences? Is the advertising
misleading, or is there a trick to getting a thinner
layer.

Missleading Man

If the floor is flat use what you need.They will not move.

Micky

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Micky Savage" wrote in message

"pete" wrote in message
g.com...
I'm tiling the conservatory floor - about 20m2 in total.

I've just finished my first 10 litre tub of adhesive
and got exactly 50 tiles of 330 mm2 out of it.
The tiles come out at 9 to the square metre, so these
50 cover 5.5m2. The blurb on the adhesive tub says it
covers 12m2, so I'm getting less than half of that.
I don't think I'm slapping it on too thick - just using
a normal tiling float to get the ridged effect.

What are other people's experiences? Is the advertising
misleading, or is there a trick to getting a thinner
layer.

Missleading Man

If the floor is flat use what you need.They will not move.

Micky

Or Dot a dab.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:58:49 +0100, Micky Savage wrote:

"Micky Savage" wrote in message

"pete" wrote in message
g.com...
I'm tiling the conservatory floor - about 20m2 in total.

I've just finished my first 10 litre tub of adhesive
and got exactly 50 tiles of 330 mm2 out of it.
The tiles come out at 9 to the square metre, so these
50 cover 5.5m2. The blurb on the adhesive tub says it
covers 12m2, so I'm getting less than half of that.
I don't think I'm slapping it on too thick - just using
a normal tiling float to get the ridged effect.

What are other people's experiences? Is the advertising
misleading, or is there a trick to getting a thinner
layer.

Missleading Man

If the floor is flat use what you need.They will not move.

Micky

Or Dot a dab.

Having a bit more of a think about it, I reckon that what they
say on the tin isn't mathematically possible. The instructions
say to use a notched trowel and a 3mm thickness.
Now 10 litres is 10,000 cm3 - which would cover an area 100x100cm
to a depth of 1cm. It would therefore cover 3.33 metres to a
depth of 3mm. However, since the notched trowel removes half
of the goop, the coverage would be doubled, to 6.6m2. I don't
see how they can get the coverage they claim, with the instructions
they state. Hmmm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Micky Savage wrote:
If the floor is flat use what you need.They will not move.

Or Dot a dab.

I'd not use that for floor tiles - they need even supporting across their
entire area.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.