Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Postmortem on recalcitrant toilet

Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly
stopped flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple
toilet tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be
easier to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet
before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks
in the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.

Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I
didn't find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided
to get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message ...
Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly stopped
flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple toilet
tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be easier
to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet
before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks in
the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.

Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I didn't
find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided to
get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.

Then you either had calcium clogging the rim flush holes, not clogged
completely, but some blockage just the same.

Or something happened to the flush ball in the tank which screwed up the
timing of the flush.

Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lefty wrote:
"John" wrote in message ...
[...]

Someone else suggested that. I put a coat hanger in the holes (when the
toilet was connected) and didn't notice anything obvious. I didn't
check for that during the postmortem.

Or something happened to the flush ball in the tank which screwed up the
timing of the flush.

I replaced all the components in the tank.

Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:14�am, John wrote:
Lefty wrote:
"John" wrote in ...
[...]

Lefty- Hide quoted text -

if the old toilet is still around try smashing the bowl ring area, no
doubt its filled with sludge. could of easily been cleaned out with
acid.

5 bucks is cheap, did you try the acid thing?

if not why not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly
stopped flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple
toilet tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be
easier to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet
before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks
in the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.

Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I
didn't find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided
to get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.

The water shut-off valve to the toilet jammed? You shut it off tight to
replace the toilet, turned it on and it unjammed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message ...
Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly
stopped flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple
toilet tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be
easier to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet
before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks
in the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.

Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I
didn't find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided
to get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.

I think I was the one that asked for the after action report.

I realize this comes a little late for your unit, but I suspect that the
calcium build up in the rim was the problem, but an easy way for some one to
fix that is to use a plastic trash can and mix muriatic acid with enough
water to cover the base of the toilet and let it soak for a few days. That
will dissolve any crusties in the porcelain and should do the trick.

It also takes out the hard water and rust stains on some older johns that
just won't scrub off.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 3:24�pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"John" wrote in ...
[...]

If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent..- Hide quoted text -

a easier way is pour muriatic acid down the dip tube, wait 15 minutes
and flush normally, repeat as needed. then flush 10 or 15 times to
dilute any acid remaining in the system. wear safety glasses, use a
funel and have the room well ventilated.

its worth a try and can do no harm if your going to replace the toilet
anyway
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Just curious, I need to do this to a toilet but what is the "dip" tube?

Did a google and came up with a diagram, but no dip tube. Not being a
smartass, really want to know how to clean out the toilet once and for all

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...num=7&ct=image

Thanks for the help

--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 27, 8:43�pm, "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net wrote:
bob haller wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...tstyle.com/toi....

Thanks for the help

--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher- Hide quoted text -

its the tube thats inn the tank, open at top and has hose connected or
inserted at top, the dip tube water causes the start of the wave that
ultimately causes the flush.

the dip tube water comes out the bowl rim holes
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Will give this a shot tomorrow

--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net wrote in message
[...]

I would like to make a couple of points here. First I don't think that
there is more than one path for the water to flow there is only one hole in
the main body of the toilet that the water goes into. What was referred to
as the dip tube I believe is properly referred to as the overflow tube, and
the little hose that flows in to the tube is to give a little water after
the flush to return the level in the bowl to full. The water is well on its
way when the flapper valve opens.

As I see the choice between the two proposed methods, the removal method has
the disadvantage of having to remove the toilet and disassemble, but the
advantage is that it does a really thorough job as the acidic mix is kept in
contact with the calcium deposits until it all fizzes away, and you do not
have a bunch of acid fumes stinking up the house. You also get to replace
the wax ring and check the condition of the gasket between the tank and the
bowl.

If you just pour the acid in most of it just flows right down the drain and
does nothing, and you end up on your hands and knees poking a chunk of wire
into the rim holes while sniffing acid fumes.

Good luck which ever way you choose.

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 6:24�am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
[...]

Congress?- Hide quoted text -

obviously you never tried the acid method? pour in tube wait 15
minutes and flush, then if your not satisfied just repeat.......

having done this or suggested it to many people including some here
who reported back worked great.....

fact is not one reported failure, as long as toilet flushes fine with
bucket was criteria for acid treatment.

biggest problem is peoples fear of acid.

why not try my method, if it fails wait a week so all acid traces are
gone, and then pull toilet?

a week is overkill, but geez most toilets like this go bad over time,
so waiting doesnt matter
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 05:56:05 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

having done this or suggested it to many people including some here
who reported back worked great.....

Works great.. A little more detail he

"Muriatic Acid Method"

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet