Posted to alt.home.repair
PV[_2_] PV[_2_] is offline

Default Postmortem on recalcitrant toilet

bob haller wrote:
On Sep 27, 8:43?pm, "PV" edrnouser@ spam telus.net wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sep 27, 3:24?pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"John" wrote in
Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly
stopped flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of
simple toilet tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would
be easier to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the
toilet before I threw it out. ?I kept the toilet as a planter for
a few weeks in ?the front yard then I tired of it and took a
hammer to it today.

Results: ?Nada. ?No objects anywhere. ?Clean as a whistle. ?Also,
I didn't find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years
decided to get up and die. ?Toilet suicide is so sad.

I think I was the one that asked for the after action report.

I realize this comes a little late for your unit, but I suspect
that the
calcium build up in the rim was the problem, but an easy way for
some one to
fix that is to use a plastic trash can and mix muriatic acid with
enough
water to cover the base of the toilet and let it soak for a few
days. ?That
will dissolve any crusties in the porcelain and should do the
trick.

It also takes out the hard water and rust stains on some older
johns that
just won't scrub off.

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the

a easier way is pour muriatic acid down the dip tube, wait 15
minutes and flush normally, repeat as needed. then flush 10 or 15
times to dilute any acid remaining in the system. wear safety
glasses, use a funel and have the room well ventilated.

its worth a try and can do no harm if your going to replace the
toilet anyway

Just curious, I need to do this to a toilet but what is the "dip"
tube?

Did a google and came up with a diagram, but no dip tube. ?Not being
a smartass, really want to know how to clean out the toilet once and
for all

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...tstyle.com/toi...

Thanks for the help

--
PV

"Begin each day as if it were on purpose"
Mary Anne Radmacher- Hide quoted text -

its the tube thats inn the tank, open at top and has hose connected or
inserted at top, the dip tube water causes the start of the wave that
ultimately causes the flush.

the dip tube water comes out the bowl rim holes

Thanks, Will give this a shot tomorrow