Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Postmortem on recalcitrant toilet

Lefty wrote:
"John" wrote in message ...
Some weeks ago I posted my plight regarding a toilet that suddenly stopped
flushing any type of solids, including small amounts of simple toilet
tissue.

I've received many suggestions and ultimately I decided it would be easier
to just replace the toilet which is what I did.

The new toilet flushes just fine.

Several people asked me to follow-up with a postmortem of the toilet
before I threw it out. I kept the toilet as a planter for a few weeks in
the front yard then I tired of it and took a hammer to it today.

Results: Nada. No objects anywhere. Clean as a whistle. Also, I didn't
find any objects in the drain.

I guess that I'll never know why a toilet after 10 or so years decided to
get up and die. Toilet suicide is so sad.

Then you either had calcium clogging the rim flush holes, not clogged
completely, but some blockage just the same.

Someone else suggested that. I put a coat hanger in the holes (when the
toilet was connected) and didn't notice anything obvious. I didn't
check for that during the postmortem.

Or something happened to the flush ball in the tank which screwed up the
timing of the flush.

I replaced all the components in the tank.

Lefty