Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical circuit hazard?

Hi,

I caused a problem with an electrical circuit and would like to know
whether it's a hazard until my electrician has a chance to check
things out.

Scenario:
Two switches (a dimmer switch and a standard toggle switch
--three-way, I think) in two locations control the same two hallway
light fixtures.

As I was pulling the toggle switch out of its metal box, one of its
terminals touched the side of the box and sparked once for a fraction
of a second until contact between the terminal and box was broken.

The switches no longer turn on the light fixtures even though power is
still being delivered to the switches. If I leave the circuit breaker
on (my preference for reasons I won't go into here), would that be a
hazardous thing to do, and if so, why?

And if anyone has an idea of why the switches no longer turn on the
lights, I'd be very interested in knowing that too.

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Darro