Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical circuit hazard?

wrote:

However, when the main breaker on the cottage panel blew, friday of a
wintery long weekend, we just grabbed a new panel and breakers before
the stores closed, and changed the panel without pulling the
meter.Wives holding the flashlights, tape up the ends of the wires
pulled from the main breaker, strip out all the branch circuit wires,
yank the panel, feed the taped wires onto the top of the new panel,
connect to the main breaker, connect the circuit that lights the
basement, and shut off the flashlights. Then finish the wiring (get
the heat on PRONTO!!!,) then the rest of the cottage.

I'd have called the power company and told them I was cutting the seal due
to an emergency. If they want to send a representative out to check, we'll
be in the back yard laboring in the cold and the dark and the wet.

What you did is not all that unusual. After all, what do contractors do when
they install a new meter box and have to work with the drops?

They use caution, that's what they do.