Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical circuit problem - help!

Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. I've never seen this behavior before. What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. I've never seen this behavior before. What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!

Probably a daisy-chained circuit, and a switch or an outlet is fried, or
has a loose connection. What was the last electrical item turned on or
in use before breaker tripped? Wherever that was plugged in or switched,
pull and check that outlet or switch. Multiple rooms, I would bet on on
fried plug or loose connection. Hall light is probably fed off the
bedroom next to it, from the last outlet in the daisy chain, or from the
ceiling light in that room. As cheap as new outlets and switches are, as
long as you have it apart, may as well replace it, just for giggles.
Especially true for heavily used outlets and switches, or if your house
is more than a few years old. It could be a junction box in attic, but
that is a lot less likely. If live bedroom and dead bedroom have a
common wall, the problem is probably the last live outlet or the first
dead one, closest to it in the wall.

If the above does not make sense, go buy a DIY electrical book with
pictures, or hire somebody. That isn't a flame- there is no shame in not
knowing how to do something, and everyone has to start somewhere. And
unlike most home repairs, messing up electrical work can actually kill you.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 7:57*am, aemeijers wrote:
stavros wrote:
[...]

Excellent advice, thanks. I hadn't thought about the daisy-chaining
aspect of outlets on a circuit. I'll see if I can narrow down which
one is giving us grief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have GFCI outlet (outlet with a red light/button) somewhere
nearby, like in bathroom next to the bedroom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 8:56*am, Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
Do you have GFCI outlet (outlet with a red light/button) somewhere
nearby, like in bathroom next to the bedroom?

Good thought, but no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stavros" wrote in message
Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. I've never seen this behavior before. What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!

It would be helpful to know what was being used on the affected circuit at
the time the breaker tripped. It would also be helpful to know exactly how
many lights and outlets are affected, and their locations. You want to start
with the easiest possibilities first, which may be that another breaker is
tripped as well. The breaker handles don't always move to the tripped
position, so you'd either have to turn everyone off then on, or open the
panel and check each with a voltage tester.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:

Excellent advice, thanks. I hadn't thought about the daisy-chaining
aspect of outlets on a circuit. I'll see if I can narrow down which
one is giving us grief.

It's easy to narrow down: It's either the first bad outlet on the chain or
the last good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
[...]

I lucked out and quickly identified a failing outlet in the chain.
Just by jiggling my voltage tester in the receptacle slots, the rest
of the lights and outlets in the chain flickered on and off. I have a
bunch of new replacement outlets, so I set out to replace this one and
ran into a new question.

There are three runs of Romex heading into this outlet box, and
they're all connected to this receptacle. I've replaced several
outlets in my house, but I've never seen this wiring before. My new
replacement outlets have four connectors - two hot and two neutral -
and this is what I'm used to dealing with. Instead, this old failing
outlet has eight push-in style connectors, and there are three hot
wires and three neutrals already connected.

Can I use my standard four-connector outlet to replace this one? If
so, how do I wire it? Can I take the three hots and wire cap them
together, along with one extra pigtail for the outlet, then do the
same with the neutrals?

This is not a switched outlet, btw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
stavros wrote:

Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. I've never seen this behavior before. What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!

My guess is that there was some kind of a failure that caused a short
circuit from hot to neutral or ground. The consequence was that the
short cleared but left an open circuit. ]

I presume that you have at least one multimeter that will allow you to
track down some possible problems. Check which outlets on the string are
energized. Realize that the hot could be energized but that the neutral
is open. Check the hot (narrower slot) to both neutral and ground. If
you have long enough leads, you can check for continuity from socket to
socket. BE SURE TO OPEN THE BREAKER SO YOUR METER AND YOU ARE SAFE.

My guess is you will be able to see damage by inspection if your meter
localizes the problem somewhat.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2009 7:33 AM stavros spake thus:

Last night a circuit breaker tripped. On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. I've never seen this behavior before. What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!

Hard to diagnose at a distance, not knowing all the details of your
place. Several possibilities:

o There's another breaker somewhere in that circuit controlling the
devices that are still out. Strange, shouldn't be there, but anything is
possible.

o There's a break in the wiring ahead of the devices that are still out,
or an intermittent connection. Unlikely unless there are accompanying
sizzling and popping sounds (arcing). Potentially dangerous.

o There'a a GFCI outlet somewhere in the chain that's tripped, with the
other devices that are still out downstream of it.

More details?

Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
[...]

As long as it's not switched, or half switched, pigtails is exactly what you
do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
[...]

This is not a switched outlet, btw.- Hide quoted text -

I would say from what is described;.yes.

And the method you describe using wire connector nuts with more easily
managed pigtails to the outlet being replaced sounds fine. Proper size
wire-nuts and make sure they are tight connections. Because those
connections are carrying the total load of whatever i plugged in
further downstream on that circuit.

Circuit-wise; seems as though you have live and neutral pair coming
and connected to the outlet; a live and neutral daisy-chained to the
next item (outlet) on that circuit and another pair branching off to
something else or another run of daisy chained items?

Live is often black and goes on the brassy looking connection. Neutral
often white and connects to the shiny whitish connection of each
outlet.

BTW make sure the ground is connected to the metal box and/or the
outlet and is also connected/extended through to the other branches.

Your idea of using pigtails avoids trying to stuff back into the wall
box a whole bunch of at least six stiff wire fastened to back of the
new outlet and possibly straining or cracking it! Some electricians
will recommend that for all outlets other will say it is required
under certain electrical codes; which do differ slightly from
jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:17:43 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

Gee. A back stabbed outlet failed.
Surprising. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
[...]

Pigtails will work, if there is enough room in the box. If not, you can
extend the box out (if the people in the house will accept that
ugliness), or cut it out and replace it with a larger 'old-work' box.
The extra romex probably feeds the ceiling light or hall light. Most
electricians try to lay out wire runs to avoid a 3-way connection,
because they are a PITA. Nobody else said it, so I will- you don't have
aluminum wiring, do you? I've never personally seen an outlet for use on
copper with 8 backstab holes.

And like most people on here keep saying- ignore the backstab holes and
use the screws.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 7:33*am, stavros wrote:
Last night a circuit breaker tripped. *On this circuit are the
overhead lights and outlets in a couple bedrooms and a hall light. *I
flipped the breaker back on, but power only came back to one of the
bedrooms. *The hall light and power in the other bedroom are still
out. *I've never seen this behavior before. *What could the problem be
and how can I troubleshoot this? *Thanks in advance!

Faulty back-stabbed outlet identified and replaced. No
electrocutions, no fires. Wife happy, everything under control.
Thanks to all for the advice!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news
stavros wrote:
[...]

If there was enough room in the box to begin with, there is enough with
pigtails.

or cut it out and replace it with a larger 'old-work' box.

You're not getting a nail on box with 3 cables in it, out of the wall
without making a hole larger than the box, at which point, you're better off
using something like a "smart box"

The extra romex probably feeds the ceiling light or hall light. Most
electricians try to lay out wire runs to avoid a 3-way connection, because
they are a PITA.

We do?, that's news to me, and totally ridiculous.

Nobody else said it, so I will- you don't have
aluminum wiring, do you? I've never personally seen an outlet for use on
copper with 8 backstab holes.

Since you are not an electrician, why would you?

And like most people on here keep saying- ignore the backstab holes and
use the screws.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

stavros wrote:
[...]

For this one location, get a different outlet. The newer ones have a
clamping plate activated by the screw instead of the wire wrapped around the
screw (it's name escapes me, I want to say 'breast' but that's probably not
right).

Here's another hint: Turn the outlet over. If your grounding plug was down,
orient the grounding plug up on the new one. This serves as a visual clue as
to which outlets remain as back-stabbed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yes it's surprising. All of the production home builders swear by
those profit increasing, er I mean, price reducing innovations. They
could not possibly have anything in mind but the customers best
interest could they. UL labs have certified that they are very
unlikely to burn your home down or kill you by electrocution. Why
isn't that enough for you? You don't mean you actually expect the
receptacle to be suitable for its intended use in addition to all of
those wonderful features do you. What are you some kind of
Communist? Man oh man some people are never satisfied! You say you
can deliver 100,000 board feet of lumber for five cents less. Who do
I have to assassinate?
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 6:40*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

news

stavros wrote:
[...]

You can, in fact, get a nail in box out of it's own wall opening with
the patient use of a Sawzall blade handle and a fine toothed metal
cutting blade. If the box is metal you cut up the side. If it is
plastic you cut across the top and the bottom. Sectional boxes can be
pried apart at the back seams by using an old screw driver. You can
then remove the parts one by one. It does take considerable time and
patience but it is doable.
--
Tom Horne