Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage Disposal Wiring

My house doesn't have a Garbage Disposal (nor do I foresee wanting
one) but since I'm replacing drywall behind the kitchen sink and
adding another outlet over the countertop, I want to run the wires for
a GD while I'm in there. It might make the house more desirable if I
ever decide to sell. I'm thinking of having a double switch box to
the right of the sink, with one switch for a small flourescent light
mounted over the sink and the other switch for the GD.

Here's my questions:

1. Are GD's usually hardwired straight from the switch near the sink,
or do they plug into an outlet under the sink which is switched on and
off by the GD switch above?

2. Does the wiring code allow an outlet to be mounted under the sink,
in close proximity to the hot and cold water inlets? If so, does it
have to be GFCI? If outlets are permitted under the sink, is it best
to install them high (above the water inlets) or down low?

If outlets aren't allowed under the sink, I plan on installing a
junction box under the sink (again: high or low?) and running the
wires from the GD switch down to the JB, putting wire nuts on the ends
of the wire, and a cover on the JB. If the next owner is someone who
can't live without a GD, at least the wiring will be there already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if current code makes a specification. Non GFIC outlets were
allowed under the sink. Best to use an adjustable box so that it will flush
out to the cabinet back. If just using a sink front a regular box is fine. I
like to put them above pan height so somewhere around 20-24" off the floor
to the bottom of the box..

They can be hard wired or plug in and it should be a dedicated 20 amp
circuit.

I prefer plug in because that provides an absolute disconnect at the point
of service. Often 12/3 wg will be pulled and the dishwasher gets one leg of
a split duplex and the garbage gets the other. Just be sure to get both
breakers on the same leg so there is no potential for 220 in the box.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Sep 16, 3:59*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

[...]

Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com

My understanding was that if you did it that way you HAD to use
opposite legs (aka Edison circuit,) otherwise you have the potential
for the neutral to be carrying 2x the rated amperage...? Also you
need to use breakers with the handles tied together.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 3:34*pm, Josh wrote:
[...]

I'll let others speak the code issues about outlets under the sink,
but I will toss this out:

I have always heard (and agree) that the GD switch should be separated
from other switches in such a manner as to prevent it from being
turned on by mistake.

When I installed mine, I put the switch on the opposite side of the
sink from the light switch, which put it behind the dish draining
rack. It's just inconvenient enough that you have to *want* to turn it
on - you would never accidently hit that switch when trying to turn on
the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 3:59 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

[...]

You are correct. You never wire an Edison circuit with both hot legs on the
same leg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 3:59 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

[...]

I have never done it that way. And I do agree that you are right about the
Edison circuit.

My son's house is on a split duplex. I will have to take a look at his
panel box and see how it was done.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need a switch on the counter top for a disposal. Many have the
switch built into the drain stopper, to prevent sticking your hand in and
turning it on. If you want a switch, it may be advisable to install it in
the sink base cabinet, so a deliberate action must be taken, to turn it on.
Disposals use only a small amount of electricity, so a 15 amp circuit is
fine. You cannot wire it to your counter outlet circuit. You can install
outlets in the sink base, and they do not need to be GFCI protected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
news

"N8N" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 3:59 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

[...]

The two legs on an Edison, or Multiwire branch circuit, have always had to
be on opposite legs of the service, and with the new code, they must be
attached to double pole circuit breakers

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Josh" wrote in message
My house doesn't have a Garbage Disposal (nor do I foresee wanting
one) but since I'm replacing drywall behind the kitchen sink and
adding another outlet over the countertop, I want to run the wires for
a GD while I'm in there. It might make the house more desirable if I
ever decide to sell. I'm thinking of having a double switch box to
the right of the sink, with one switch for a small flourescent light
mounted over the sink and the other switch for the GD.

Here's my questions:

1. Are GD's usually hardwired straight from the switch near the sink,
or do they plug into an outlet under the sink which is switched on and
off by the GD switch above?

*They can be wired either way. Some disposals come with cords already
attached. I prefer cords to make it easy for the plumber to install and
remove without having to call an electrician.

2. Does the wiring code allow an outlet to be mounted under the sink,
in close proximity to the hot and cold water inlets? If so, does it
have to be GFCI? If outlets are permitted under the sink, is it best
to install them high (above the water inlets) or down low?

*Yes it is permissiable to wire an outlet under the sink and it is not
required to be GFCI protected though it is not a bad idea. I usually mount
the boxes where they are the most accessible which is usually on the cabinet
side close to the cabinet door. It is a royal PITA to work on a junction
box or receptacle way back inside especially in a corner cabinet. Keep it
up high so as to not interfere with household items.

If outlets aren't allowed under the sink, I plan on installing a
junction box under the sink (again: high or low?) and running the
wires from the GD switch down to the JB, putting wire nuts on the ends
of the wire, and a cover on the JB. If the next owner is someone who
can't live without a GD, at least the wiring will be there already.

*I think that is your best bet. Use a 4" square box. Leave extra slack on
the cable in case it needs to be relocated or pushed aside for plumbing.
Use a 20 amp circuit and keep it separate from the lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not all disposers are switchless. I deliberately chose one with a
switch to turn it on and off, because the alternative is having to
shove something into the drain to start it-- and that means if you
have a sink full of gunk you have to stick your hand into it.

I wired mine with a switch under the sink as a cutoff, so if in the
future there are little kids around who like to play with switches I
can turn the whole thing off.

The other switch (the one I use; they're wired in series) is on the
wall next to the sink-- and I have it covered with a sheet metal loop
(they sell these at Home Depot) that covers the front of the switch
but you can easily turn it on from the side. The loop just makes it
less likely that someone will accidentally switch it or hit the switch
with something.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com

This posting copyright 2009. All rights reserved. Reposting on other
websites strictly prohibited.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 6:39*pm, "EXT" wrote:
John Grabowski wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message
[...]

And don't bother with a wall switch. Since most better quality disposal
units don't need them,

The stores are chock full of quality disposals that need a switch of
some kind and most are of that type. As someone else stated, the
kind that require the disposal plug be installed to turn it on instead
of a switch work in batch mode are a royal PIA.

Another alternative is to use a switch that mounts in a hole in the
sink, similar to a soap dispenser, etc. These are air based at the
sink and work the actual switch which is located safely out of the way
under the sink. They can be used with any disposal.

why have a blank plate visible on the wall or a
switch that does nothing, as every visitor will use it to try to turn on the
lights, and probably even your wife, much to her anoyance. You don't want
her anoyed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub | 2009-09-16 | 7:01:31 PM wrote:

Josh wrote:
My house doesn't have a Garbage Disposal (nor do I foresee wanting
one) but since I'm replacing drywall behind the kitchen sink and
adding another outlet over the countertop, I want to run the wires
for a GD while I'm in there. It might make the house more
desirable if I ever decide to sell. I'm thinking of having a
double switch box to the right of the sink, with one switch for a
small flourescent light mounted over the sink and the other switch
for the GD.

What about the dishwaser?

A switch for the dishwasher is--well, I don't know what it is, but it
isn't good.

My first house had such a switch. One night, after I'd lived there for
years, I spent an hour taking the dishwasher apart to figure out why it
wouldn't work. Someone had turned off the switch that had never been
turned off before.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 March 31st 08 11:21 PM
Garbage disposal wiring [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 31st 07 01:27 AM
Garbage disposal wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 28th 07 02:54 PM
Garbage disposal and dishwasher wiring Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 0 August 10th 07 10:04 PM
electrical plug wiring for garbage disposal and dishwasher [email protected] Home Repair 26 March 7th 07 11:24 PM