Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Wiring

On Sep 16, 3:59*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Josh" wrote in message

My house doesn't have a Garbage Disposal (nor do I foresee wanting
one) but since I'm replacing drywall behind the kitchen sink and
adding another outlet over the countertop, I want to run the wires for
a GD while I'm in there. *It might make the house more desirable if I
ever decide to sell. *I'm thinking of having a double switch box to
the right of the sink, with one switch for a small flourescent light
mounted over the sink and the other switch for the GD.

Here's my questions:

1. *Are GD's usually hardwired straight from the switch near the sink,
or do they plug into an outlet under the sink which is switched on and
off by the GD switch above?

2. *Does the wiring code allow an outlet to be mounted under the sink,
in close proximity to the hot and cold water inlets? *If so, does it
have to be GFCI? If outlets are permitted under the sink, is it best
to install them high (above the water inlets) or down low?

If outlets aren't allowed under the sink, I plan on installing a
junction box under the sink (again: high or low?) and running the
wires from the GD switch down to the JB, putting wire nuts on the ends
of the wire, and a cover on the JB. *If the next owner is someone who
can't live without a GD, at least the wiring will be there already.

I don't know if current code makes a specification. Non GFIC outlets were
allowed under the sink. Best to use an adjustable box so that it will flush
out to the cabinet back. If just using a sink front a regular box is fine.. I
like to put them above pan height so somewhere around 20-24" off the floor
to the bottom of the box..

* They can be hard wired or plug in and it should be a dedicated 20 amp
circuit.

I prefer plug in because that provides an absolute disconnect at the point
of service. Often 12/3 wg will be pulled and the dishwasher gets one leg of
a split duplex and the garbage gets the other. *Just be sure to get both
breakers on the same leg so there is no potential for 220 in the box.

--
Colbyt
Please come visit *www.househomerepair.com

My understanding was that if you did it that way you HAD to use
opposite legs (aka Edison circuit,) otherwise you have the potential
for the neutral to be carrying 2x the rated amperage...? Also you
need to use breakers with the handles tied together.

nate