Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli Shaun Eli is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Wiring

Not all disposers are switchless. I deliberately chose one with a
switch to turn it on and off, because the alternative is having to
shove something into the drain to start it-- and that means if you
have a sink full of gunk you have to stick your hand into it.

I wired mine with a switch under the sink as a cutoff, so if in the
future there are little kids around who like to play with switches I
can turn the whole thing off.

The other switch (the one I use; they're wired in series) is on the
wall next to the sink-- and I have it covered with a sheet metal loop
(they sell these at Home Depot) that covers the front of the switch
but you can easily turn it on from the side. The loop just makes it
less likely that someone will accidentally switch it or hit the switch
with something.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com

This posting copyright 2009. All rights reserved. Reposting on other
websites strictly prohibited.