Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Some floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 11:13*am, mm wrote:
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? * *That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

I don't know the exact rationale, but I can speculate. Maybe it helps
keep at least some moisture away from the socket. Maybe it helps
prevent bulb damage from minor hits. Maybe it just looks nice. Etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

Looks and security would be my guess.

I just bought a 2 bulb motion detector model and I paid $5 more for the
model that shielded the sides of the bulbs because I think it will be more
difficult for vandals to break the bulbs.

Exterior rated bulbs are designed to handle the cold rain on the hot bulb.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:13*pm, mm wrote:
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? * *That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

I thought so you dont see the ugly bulbs silver reflector but they do
protect bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:13 pm, mm wrote:
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

I thought so you dont see the ugly bulbs silver reflector but they do
protect bulbs.

As you don't mind all the things living in that nice warm protected
space, when you go to change bulbs...
--
aem sends..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

I thought so you dont see the ugly bulbs silver reflector but they do
protect bulbs.

As you don't mind all the things living in that nice warm protected space,
when you go to change bulbs...
--
aem sends..

Gee. Thanks for ruining my day. grin

I still think I am more concerned about the 2 legged, upright walking
illegal residents than I am the ones loving in this small warm space.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:52:07 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

Looks and security would be my guess.

I just bought a 2 bulb motion detector model and I paid $5 more for the
model that shielded the sides of the bulbs because I think it will be more
difficult for vandals to break the bulbs.

I didn't even think about vandals breaking the bulbs!

Exterior rated bulbs are designed to handle the cold rain on the hot bulb.

Well that certainly makes sense. I did have a bulb that cracked once.
And no one goes in my back yard, let alone throw rocks at the light. I
sleep three feet from the light (through the window).

I assumed it was the rain when it was hot. But it's too late to
verify it was an exterior-rated bulb. I intended to buy that.

As to things living inside, hadn't thought about that either, because
mine isn't on much. If it were on 8 hours a night, or in a warmer
climate, yeah, wow.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

I thought so you dont see the ugly bulbs silver reflector but they do
protect bulbs.

As you don't mind all the things living in that nice warm protected space,
when you go to change bulbs...
--
aem sends..

Gee. Thanks for ruining my day. grin

I still think I am more concerned about the 2 legged, upright walking
illegal residents than I am the ones loving in this small warm space.

Colbyt

If vandalism is that big a problem in your area, you need the floods
with the lexan bubbles around them. Or maybe somebody still makes the
wire cages, if you can find ones that fit your outside decor. Paint them
black, and they vanish pretty well.

Security 101- you don't put the lights on the building in high-risk
areas. You put them on poles, shining on the building, to eliminate
shadow zones people can hide in.

--
aem sends...