Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Some floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

On Sep 1, 11:13*am, mm wrote:
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they
won't crack? * *That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so
many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not
have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

I don't know the exact rationale, but I can speculate. Maybe it helps
keep at least some moisture away from the socket. Maybe it helps
prevent bulb damage from minor hits. Maybe it just looks nice. Etc.