Posted to alt.home.repair

Default blowing dust off screens

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:41:46 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent and
water? While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the window
tracks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent and
water? While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the window
tracks.

Don't complicate the situation more. He could hang them over a clothes
line and beat them with a straw broom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your tiny air compressor will turn this no-job into a big-job.

My window washer just takes out the screen (in order to get at the windows).
He then uses a small dust-brush to brush the dust off the screens. Takes
only a few seconds. Very satisfactory and fast.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Heathcliff" wrote in message
I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. *It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. *I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. *(For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). *Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent and
water? *While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the window
tracks.

Don't complicate the situation more. He could hang them over a clothes
line and beat them with a straw broom.- Hide quoted text -

He is alergic to water and brooms, the dishwasher would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. *It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. *I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. *(For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). *Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent and
water? *While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the window
tracks.

I just use the blower position ono my shop vacuum and brush the screen
while blowing out the window, I don't even have to remove the screen
as long as the wind is in the right direction,
Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd do a lot better with a shop vac and a snow brush. At
least, that's my guess. Or a brush tip for a vac cleaner
hose.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Heathcliff" wrote in
message
I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked
fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by
blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in
terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end.
(For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use
the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that
is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be
difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box
store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Straw is so 19th century. He needs a plug in Elektrik Broom
from the 1950s.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message

Don't complicate the situation more. He could hang them over
a clothes
line and beat them with a straw broom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

I would suggest a shop vac with a brush attachement to lossen
the dust and capture it so it does not redoposit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 19, 3:41*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. *It has worked fine for
inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing
the dust off them with compressed air. *I am thinking in terms of a
wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. *(For
reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose
on the screens). *Just wondering if (a) something like that is already
available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to
fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air
hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

The volume of air your compressor supplies is probably in the
neighborhood of 2 - 3 cubic feet per minute (cfm). You would need
about 8 -10 cfm, the volume supplied by a 50 gal shop compressor.
Yours just won't handle what you propose.
KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, I'm new here and can't help much with major repairs, but cleaning
screens is easy. I put them in the bath tub, spray a little of your
favorite cleaner on them, then hit them with the shower spray hose.
Takes only a few seconds per screen. Then I wipe the bottoms and place
them right back in the windows, they're dry in minutes.

Trying to clean them with air or a brush is way too messy, dust flying
everywhere. Hot water spray in the bath tub is the way to go.

I'm really enjoying this group and learning a lot.

Denise

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Denise in NH" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new here and can't help much with major repairs, but cleaning
screens is easy. I put them in the bath tub, spray a little of your
favorite cleaner on them, then hit them with the shower spray hose.
Takes only a few seconds per screen. Then I wipe the bottoms and place
them right back in the windows, they're dry in minutes.

Trying to clean them with air or a brush is way too messy, dust flying
everywhere. Hot water spray in the bath tub is the way to go.

I'm really enjoying this group and learning a lot.

Denise

Welcome Denise...That is how the wife taught me how to clean screens as
well....Works slick......Maine here....We're almost neighbors...LOL... ; )

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
Oren wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine
for inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by
blowing the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in
terms of a wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the
end. (For reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just
use the hose on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like
that is already available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would
it be difficult to fabricate something like that with items from
the big box store (air hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent
and water? While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the
window tracks.

Don't complicate the situation more. He could hang them over a
clothes line and beat them with a straw broom.- Hide quoted text -

He is alergic to water and brooms, the dishwasher would work.

Coat the screens with peanut butter and let the local critters clean them
for you. PLUS you get free entertainment - it's a Win-Win!

Jon

Sun blocking screens Terry Cano Home Repair 8 August 18th 08 07:18 AM
JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
solar screens? Paul Oman Home Repair 4 January 31st 07 04:27 AM
FS: High Volume dust 1.5HP dust extractor with sub-micron filter [email protected] Woodturning 0 January 23rd 07 08:44 AM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM