Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Star Drive Deckamte Screws Suck

In theory, you'd think the star drive Deckmate screws would be a good
thing.

Unfortunately, the quality of the Home Depot screws negates that
theory.

While building my shed over the weekend, I found that many of the
screws had 1 of 2 issues:

1 - There was so much gunk on the tip of the screw that it would just
spin and not bite into the wood.
2 - There was so much gunk in the star that the bit wouldn't seat
properly, in many cases causing the drill to slip out of the hole and
slam into the wood.

The gunk in the hole is the worst of the problems. You'd get zipping
along, setting a screw, driving it, setting a screw driving it,
*think* you're setting a screw and -BAM- the bit slips out, the screw
goes flying and the drill slams into the wood, you lose your balance,
etc.

It slows down the job because you have to make sure the bit is seated
each time.

I hear Lowes still has the Phillips-Square drive combo. I'll have to
go see.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 18, 8:25*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I used the star drive screws (not from HD) on one project and won't
use them again. Not the problems you state, but had quite a lot of
them to break while driving them in. Also had quite a few to pop
heads from swelling wood which made a callback for me.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:00:31 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

I used the star drive screws (not from HD) on one project and won't
use them again. Not the problems you state, but had quite a lot of
them to break while driving them in. Also had quite a few to pop
heads from swelling wood which made a callback for me.

Red

Red,

Buy some screws from McFeely's and try them. You shouldn't have those
issues with them. They're a lot higher quality.

I've literally used thousands of their screws and so far only one has
broken. However there were quite a few that had the head on the wrong
end :-)

Gordon Shumway
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I like stainless steel square drives the best for exterior use.
Stainless is softer and gives a little, unlike the hardened screws
which pop the heads off more often. They cost more than a coated or
anodized screw, but then again they are not depending on a coating at
all to not rust. Softer also means that you could potentially round
out the hole if the bit is not seated before you pull the trigger,
though thats not too often.

Back in the 80's the big box stores all used to sell screws by the
pound from big containers, and the overall quality was better than
today where they are boxed and overpriced. I have some stainless
screws that I bought in the 80's and they are immaculately made, they
look like a machinist turned each one on a lathe. Yes there are a lot
of crappy screws out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 12:07*pm, windcrest wrote:
[...]

of crappy screws out there.- Hide quoted text -

"boxed and overpriced"

$8.69 for a lb of Deckmate at HD. Ridiculous!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"boxed and overpriced"

$8.69 for a lb of Deckmate at HD. Ridiculous!

There are a lot of "weekend warrior" types out there to whom "DIY" is a
successful marketing strategy. The limited experience and short time they
actually work on things leads them towards more confidence when they pay
that much for a pound of screws.

To those types, the high price is actually a selling point, and the
manufacturers know this.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You might want to investigate if there is a fastener company in your
area. We have an evil family owned business here locally that is now
second generation. They sell quality stuff and they also sell home depot
quality for those folks where price is all that matters. You just need
to ask for the better stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

The advantage of the Torx drive is similar to Allen screws, 6 instead
of 4 pressure points. Since they are so widely adopted in industry,
failures in use are logically due to an off spec product as in this
case, or operator error, like not modulating the impact driver for the
screw size, or simply choosing the wrong screw for the job. Given a
choice, I always use Torx (star) and out of many hundreds set by my
Makita impact driver there have been less than a dozen mishaps, mostly
my fault. We have used screws up to 4 1/2" with Torx and I don't
believe a square drive would live long in those circumstances. FWIW, I
found Menards had the best Torx (star) quality. I thought that the few
that I bought from Lowes were a bit pricey and the selection of sizes
was not that good. No problems either with Torx drives from our local
lumber yard.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
In theory, you'd think the star drive Deckmate screws would be a good
thing.

Unfortunately, the quality of the Home Depot screws negates that
theory.

While building my shed over the weekend, I found that many of the
screws had 1 of 2 issues:

1 - There was so much gunk on the tip of the screw that it would just
spin and not bite into the wood.
2 - There was so much gunk in the star that the bit wouldn't seat
properly, in many cases causing the drill to slip out of the hole and
slam into the wood.

snip

The Home Depot near me had the star drive Deckmate screws for a short
time, but now has gone back to the square drive.

I use a lot of the Deckmate screws, but for a while I switched to
another product because of the Deckmate change to the star bit. I just
put together a shed for someone, and while it was a plastic shed, I
still had to build a wooden platform for it and I bought the square
drive Deckmate screws at Home Depot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
In theory, you'd think the star drive Deckmate screws would be a good
thing.

Unfortunately, the quality of the Home Depot screws negates that
theory.

www.mcfeelys.com Best screws around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 1:01*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

"boxed and overpriced"

$8.69 for a lb of Deckmate at HD. Ridiculous!

There are a lot of "weekend warrior" types out there to whom "DIY" is a
successful marketing strategy. *The limited experience and short time they
actually work on things leads them towards more confidence when they pay
that much for a pound of screws.

To those types, the high price is actually a selling point, and the
manufacturers know this.

Jon

I'm not sure I fit your "weekend warrior" description, although my
weekday job does involve a desk. g

A high price is not a selling point for me, but when all I need is a
pound of a specific size screw for a given project, sometimes I'm
stuck. I could have paid about $5.60 a pound if I needed a 5 pound
box, but I didn't.

Considering that I got the shed for 50% off (open box) and the
shingles for $10 a bundle (open packages, regularly $26) paying $8.69
for a lb of screws is proportionally out of whack! Sure, I could have
used McFeely's or a local fastener company like I've done in the past,
but this was a "got to get it done" project and I needed the screws
"right now".

It sucked on top of suck to pay the high price and then end up with
crappy material.

My only consolation will be that when the shed's done, I will still
have spent less than original $500 price of the shed, which didn't
include the roofing materials, the floor deck, the extra studs and a
few other extras that I added.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

wrote:

I used the star drive screws (not from HD) on one project and won't
use them again. Not the problems you state, but had quite a lot of
them to break while driving them in. Also had quite a few to pop
heads from swelling wood which made a callback for me.

Red

Red,

Buy some screws from McFeely's and try them. You shouldn't have those
issues with them. They're a lot higher quality.

I've literally used thousands of their screws and so far only one has
broken. However there were quite a few that had the head on the wrong
end :-)

Gordon Shumway

I encounter that problem with nearly half the screws I buy. It must be
the outsourcing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

I used the star drive screws (not from HD) on one project and won't
use them again. Not the problems you state, but had quite a lot of
them to break while driving them in. Also had quite a few to pop
heads from swelling wood which made a callback for me.

Red

Red,

Buy some screws from McFeely's and try them. You shouldn't have those
issues with them. They're a lot higher quality.

I've literally used thousands of their screws and so far only one has
broken. However there were quite a few that had the head on the wrong
end :-)

Gordon Shumway

Gordon.........Those were for use in the ceiling or for the other side of
the house. Keep them in case you need them. Warren

Yea I've had the same thing happen to me with both star and square head
stainless steele screws at Homedepot...You get a handfull of bad ones in
every box...Thinking I'd be smarter next time I went to Ace and bought a
slightly more expensive box and had the same handfull of bad ones...Next
time I'll try McFeely's if they aren't alot more and it looks like they are
at a quick glance of their website......I'm not gonna spend an extra 10 or
more bucks to save a handfull of screws....Common sense and all.....If I
used them everyday for work it might be a different story...You can pass on
the extra cost or make it up in time saved....Not so for the occasional
DIYer...I've gotten pretty good at twisting out broken off screws with my
mini-vise grips...LOL...Besides it is usually Saturday afternoon when I need
them for a Sunday project which means a quick stop at Homedepot cuz it's the
only one open....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:11:19 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

[...]

I don't know where McFeely's ships from but if I order something on a
Monday I usually have it by Wednesday.

Not only that, if you use the Keycode "M9F2112" you can get any order
shipped through September 1st for $1.

Gordon Shumway
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:25:51 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

ANY chinese crap screw is useless at best - and usually dangerous as
well. I have twisted them into pretsels, snapped them off, had the
heads spin out - just about any failure mode you could immagine over
the last 3 weeks doing my daughter's basement. Square drive and
philips no difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:05:32 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I used the star drive screws (not from HD) on one project and won't
use them again. Not the problems you state, but had quite a lot of
them to break while driving them in. Also had quite a few to pop
heads from swelling wood which made a callback for me.

Red

Red,

Buy some screws from McFeely's and try them. You shouldn't have those
issues with them. They're a lot higher quality.

I've literally used thousands of their screws and so far only one has
broken. However there were quite a few that had the head on the wrong
end :-)

Gordon Shumway

Gordon.........Those were for use in the ceiling or for the other side of
the house. Keep them in case you need them. Warren

No, they wer made for the AUSTRALIAN market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:51:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:07Â*pm, windcrest wrote:
On Aug 18, 8:25Â*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

which pop the heads off more often. Â*They cost more than a coated or
anodized screw, but then again they are not depending on a coating at
all to not rust. Â*Softer also means that you could potentially round
out the hole if the bit is not seated before you pull the trigger,
though thats not too often.

Back in the 80's the big box stores all used to sell screws by the
pound from big containers, and the overall quality was better than
today where they are boxed and overpriced. Â*I have some stainless
screws that I bought in the 80's and they are immaculately made, they
look like a machinist turned each one on a lathe. Â*Yes there are a lot
of crappy screws out there.- Hide quoted text -

"boxed and overpriced"

$8.69 for a lb of Deckmate at HD. Ridiculous!

Sadly the nails are just as bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Star Drive Deckmate Screws Suck

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:46:04 -0400, DerbyDad03

---- Snip ----

"boxed and overpriced"

$8.69 for a lb of Deckmate at HD. Ridiculous!

Sadly the nails are just as bad.

"Sadly the nails are just as bad."

Star drive nails? g

No, but either frozen butter or hard lead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The original DeckMate screws with the PSD2-2 heads were made by Phillip's Fasteners. The new ones with the torx head are made by Grip Rite and are not the quality of the old screws. I tracked down the manufacturer today and they are offering the same screw with the patented PSD2-2 head for a dollar less than Home Depot did with no shipping cost and no minimum. Even if the Deckmate screws were quality screws the torx head screws are not good for carpentry work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The original DeckMate screws with the PSD2-2 heads were made by Phillip's Fasteners. The new ones with the torx head are made by Grip Rite and are not the quality of the old screws. I tracked down the manufacturer today and they are offering the same screw with the patented PSD2-2 head for a dollar less than Home Depot did with no shipping cost and no minimum. Even if the Deckmate screws were quality screws the torx head screws are not good for carpentry work.

1) torx bits do not tolerate off axis/off angle driving which is often necessary with working in tight spaces.

2) torx bits are easily shattered under the load of heavy driving. I have never broken a #2 square drive bit which is my preferred driver for the PSD2-2 screws.

3) if you strip out a torx socket you are "screwed" as you will not be able to back it out. usually I have to drill the head out and cut the shank after disassembly or back out with a pair of "ViceGrips" if I can get a grip. I prefer to use the PSD2-2 with a #2 square driver bit that shines in off axis driving.. and if it strips the head (rare ocasion) you simply reverse and in most cases there will be enough purchase to back the screw out. If it is two striped for that I grap a #3 or #2 Phillips and back it out.

4) If you are out doing some construction in West Undershirt, USA and loose or break your last T25 torx bit there is a good chance there wont be a replacement within 50 miles. If you break of loose your last Square drive bit.. It is likely you will still have a #3 or #2 Phillips bit in your tool box and if not you dont have to go to a specialty tool shop to find them.

Problem is Home Depot has screwed up again and the only thing that will change their minds is for the new inferior screws to gather dust on their shelves.

In the mean time. Order what you need directly from the manufacturer and save a couple bucks as well. www.phillipsfasteners.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In the mean time. Order what you need directly from the manufacturer and save a couple bucks as well. www.phillipsfastener.com

Don't get me wrong I am not Anti Home Depot. Quite the contrary, I like doing business with them and appreciate their policy of extending a 10% discount to veterans and active duty personnel. Sometime they just make bone headed decisions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

3) if you strip out a torx socket you are "screwed" as you will not be
able to back it out. usually I have to drill the head out and cut the
shank after disassembly or back out with a pair of "ViceGrips" if I can
get a grip. I prefer to use the PSD2-2 with a #2 square driver bit that
shines in off axis driving.. and if it strips the head (rare ocasion) you
simply reverse and in most cases there will be enough purchase to back the
screw out. If it is two striped for that I grap a #3 or #2 Phillips and
back it out.

http://www.aldn.com/Pages/grabitPro.php

I don't own stock in Alden etc. but these things work slicker than snot. I
had a flathead Torx where the Torx socket was completely stripped out after
various unsuccessful attempts to remove it. I was getting ready to go the
classic drill and easyout route when I figured I might as well try a grabit.
The first one I tried didn't work, so I went up to the next size. The 3/8
drill stalled out when it grabbed but then the screw broke loose and spun
out.

It's a lot faster than the easyout route and with smaller sizes like 1/4-20
you're not in danger of breaking off the hardened easyout and really
screwing yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The original deck mate screws are still available at phillipsfastener.com. They sell them under the brand name Phillips II plus. Price includes shipping and they ship fast. Also all lengths and colors are available in 25lb boxes. Depot went for a cheaper screw
Posted to alt.home.repair

Depot went back to the star agin in your area. Patented Phillips square drive is still available at phillipsfastener.com under the brand name Phillips II plus
Posted to alt.home.repair

All the screws you bought were distributed by the same company. Quality matters. Patented Phillips square drive is available at phillipsfastener.com under brand name Phillips II plus
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, Mary wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

[...]

Phillipsfastener.com sells the original patented Phillips square drive
screws. Free shipping and they ship fast

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree, Deckmake star drive screws are not "guaranteed for life" as advertised or either their life is only a couple of years. I built a large deck around a pool three years ago and now boards are coming loose due to breaking screws and all are rusting. I could understand if in Florida around salt air but not in central Georgia.
Not happy as I built one in Florida with galvanized nails ten years ago and only have to drive the heads flush occasionally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 9:25:51 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It's because Deck Mate went with a new design which is absolutely terrible. They were thought to cut down on the splitting of the wood when screwed into. Deck Mate needs to go back with the old design. It worked. Another thing is these screws are made in CHINA. We NEED to get away from them and make our own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think most of you need to stop drinking !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2019 6:31 AM, wrote:
[...]

If you are willing to pay for quality, I am sure it is available. If you
aren't, deal with it.