Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubricant for Door Threshold Weatherstrip

About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming
difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a
contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:54*pm, Red Green wrote:
About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming *
difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a
contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.

I use paste wax, like Johnson's.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 2, 9:54*pm, Red Green wrote:
About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming *
difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a
contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.

do you have enough clearance to rub a bar of soap on the bottom of the
door?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, Red Green wrote:
About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago
or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

Would you happen to know the brand name of that door? I have been looking
for that kind of weather proofing for the bottom of my steel door without
any luck in finding what I am looking for.

Thanks

Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:54:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming
difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a
contributor.

Other suggestions?

Armor All, Safe to use on vinyl.

No, I haven't tried WD40.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in
:

"N8N" wrote in message
.
..
On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, Red Green wrote:
About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month
ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets
the fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the
door. Kind of like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

Would you happen to know the brand name of that door? I have been
looking for that kind of weather proofing for the bottom of my steel
door without any luck in finding what I am looking for.

Thanks

Ron

Came from Lowes. Most likely their ReliaBilt brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote in
:

[...]

Hmmm, wouldn't have thought of that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month ago or
so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that meets the
fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the door. Kind of
like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks becoming
difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement is a
contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.

I have used saw wax to lubricate both metal and wood door
frames/thresholds with very good results.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/relton/stickkut.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

About 18 months ago I put in a new Borg exterior steel door. A month
ago or so the flexible vinyl(?) strip on the bottom of the door that
meets the fixed plastic(?) bottom squeaks when you open and close the
door. Kind of like the sound rubbing dry fingers over a dry balloon.

I tried both spray silicone and vegetable oil and the squeak returned
shortly afterwards.

There have been no issues with the door closing, latches and locks
becoming difficult or door edge/jamb gaps so I don't believe movement
is a contributor.

Other suggestions?

No, I haven't tried WD40.

Lots of good suggestions I never thought of. Glad I posted the Q.

Haven't tried anything yet but one that popped into my head was furniture
polish maybe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to N8N, Becca wrote:
WOW I tried a bunch of oils, etc. The door was driving me crazy it was so loud
opening and closing. Tried the bar of mini soap from a hotel. IT WORKED!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ip-387080-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Soap worked wonders for me! I don't even think you need a specific brand. Just make sure you aren't attached to the bar, because it's going to get dirty.
I just rubbed it dry onto both the rubber part and the frame below it. Not even a whisper of a squeak. (I know it was 11 years ago, just putting this hear for anyone who may be curious and doesn't have fancy wax)

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ip-387080-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 18:34:07 +0000, Suebea
wrote:

Soap worked wonders for me! I don't even think you need a specific brand. Just make sure you aren't attached to the bar, because it's going to get dirty.
I just rubbed it dry onto both the rubber part and the frame below it. Not even a whisper of a squeak. (I know it was 11 years ago, just putting this hear for anyone who may be curious and doesn't have fancy wax)

I've used this on rubber weatherstripping on my cars over the years,
with decent results: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GD49GTS

It was originally used by Honda on their cars years ago. I don't see
why it wouldn't work in this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Jun 2021 23:01:42 -0500, Francis S posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

Soap worked wonders for me! I don't even think you need a specific brand. Just make sure you aren't attached to the bar, because it's going to get dirty.
I just rubbed it dry onto both the rubber part and the frame below it. Not even a whisper of a squeak. (I know it was 11 years ago, just putting this hear for anyone who may be curious and doesn't have fancy wax)

I've used this on rubber weatherstripping on my cars over the years,
with decent results: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GD49GTS

It was originally used by Honda on their cars years ago. I don't see
why it wouldn't work in this application.

Frank could possibly look this up and see if it's just good old silicone grease
or not.

--
Tekkie