Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how do you weatherstrip a warped door?

I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Dec 17, 2:16 pm, Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

One thing you could do would be to pull off the stops and reattach
parallel to the warped edge of the door.

Another thing you could do would be to get the kind of
weatherstripping that doesn't go between the door and the stop, but
the kind that has a wood strip with some foam attached to it. You
place this on the side of the stop, press up to the closed door, and
then nail in place. Automatically compensates for any misalignmnet
between the door and the stops.

Finally, another thing (that I wouldn't recommend) would be to add
shorter strips of weatherstripping to build up thickness only in the
areas where the door is bowed away from the stops.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 17, 5:53 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:16:46 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

Whatever you do, please don't consider replacing the door.

If your car gets a oil leak do you replace the engine?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 17, 2:16 pm, Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

I have a door with the same problem and I used the self adhesive foam
WS from Home Depot. I stuck it to the door itself and it works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i used a roll of stick on stuff from home depot . it is called
epdm rubber weatherseal..peel off and stick it on the doorr frame
where the door meets it.clean frame with some thinner first.you might
should get 2 rolls of different thickness to see whitch one fits best.
in one area on the corner i put it double thick so the door would seal
against it.works good.... i was useing a metal strip with rubber seal
that nailed on the inside of the door frame and just couldnt get it
right. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 17, 9:23 pm, "Roemax" wrote:
I'll bet it looks great too

Sure does!

A real professional appearance

Just because you're a hack and can't make something look good
don't project your weaknesses on others.....top posting moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 18, 2:09 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:59:54 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Dec 17, 5:53 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:16:46 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

Whatever you do, please don't consider replacing the door.

If your car gets a oil leak do you replace the engine?

If my car is so twisted that one tire won't reach the pavement, I
replace the car.

That wasn't the question.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 18, 2:33 pm, wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 17, 5:53 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:16:46 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

Whatever you do, please don't consider replacing the door.

If your car gets a oil leak do you replace the engine?

If my car is so twisted that one tire won't reach the pavement, I
replace the car.

That wasn't the question.

First, you would have to be able to formulate a reasonably intelligent
question. I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

Apparentally it's too intelligent for you since you can't answer it.

The OP's door
didn't have an oil leak. It's badly twisted.

Nobody said it had an oil leak, but it does have a air leak.

And how do you know it's "badly twisted"? He said it was warped.

Warped shed door Jay Pique Woodworking 1 July 17th 06 11:58 PM
Best place to buy non-warped door casing ? sm_jamieson UK diy 0 July 17th 06 02:06 PM
Unwarp a warped door? Mike Barnard UK diy 9 February 9th 05 11:40 PM
Garage Door Weatherstrip Keith Oliver UK diy 5 November 23rd 04 06:21 PM
Weatherstrip for uPVC door Jon Read UK diy 2 July 22nd 03 11:21 PM