Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window putty and latex question.

Hi there,

The company I paint for does a lot of heritage restoration and currently
is exclusively using alkyd paint for our products. However, we'd like to
start using more latex for drying time, environmental and health reasons
etc.. The problem is that with the oil-based DAP window putty we use; I've
read it's ok to paint latex over it after waiting for it to dry, but I
don't think our customers really want to wait that long (and many don't
want to do it themselves or have to pay a painter when it does set up). I
wanted to try/suggest doing the entire sash/storm in latex with latex
primer and finish, bed the glass and ONLY paint the putty with an alkyd
colour match.

My question is: how important is it that paint overlap where the putty
meets the wood? Will water penetrate that seal and damage the putty
faster?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 4:42*pm, (fatheyzeus)
wrote:
[...]

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Have you reviewed the Secretary's Standards to see if it's allowed.
That would be the first thing to do.

Secondly, would you be able to the the shine the same for the
different paint types. The colors might match but will the finish
match? I think you'll only know by trying it once on scrap to find
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 4:42*pm, (fatheyzeus)
wrote:
[...]

I just posted a reply but it didn't look like it went through. So if
I am double posting, I apologize in advance.

First off, check the Secretary's Standards to see if it's allowed.
That's pretty definitive and you'll do little to argue your way out of
that in any case.

Second, get some scrap and see if the sheen matches. You might match
the color but you'll also need to know if the finish is the same. Not
all "eggshell" is the same.

I hope this goes through better this time.

Pat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"fatheyzeus" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I use an oil based primer and a latex top coat.

In the summer you only need about a week for the Dap to skin over enough for
a latex primer coat to accept the paint.

I paint slow enough that would not be a problem but I prefer the oil primer.

Don't confuse me for a pro painter.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

fatheyzeus wrote:
[...]

Putty is whiting and linseed oil so it isn't going to be damaged.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you hear what happened to the woman who couldn't tell
the difference between vaseline and putty?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sucko company. Spamming Usenet wtih 365627 messages, and
counting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus