Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Window putty and latex question.

fatheyzeus wrote:
Hi there,

The company I paint for does a lot of heritage restoration and
currently is exclusively using alkyd paint for our products.
However, we'd like to start using more latex for drying time,
environmental and health reasons etc.. The problem is that with the
oil-based DAP window putty we use; I've read it's ok to paint latex
over it after waiting for it to dry, but I don't think our customers
really want to wait that long (and many don't want to do it
themselves or have to pay a painter when it does set up). I wanted
to try/suggest doing the entire sash/storm in latex with latex primer
and finish, bed the glass and ONLY paint the putty with an alkyd
colour match.

My question is: how important is it that paint overlap where the putty
meets the wood? Will water penetrate that seal and damage the putty
faster?

Putty is whiting and linseed oil so it isn't going to be damaged.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...