Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbie

Default casemenet window - no putty?

Just had a wooden casement cottage style window installed, 20/24mm
double glazed units were put in on site by builder. It doesn't appear
that he has used putty - is this normal? There appears to be some glue
or sealant between the beading on the outside and the glass but that's
about it. It does give the window a very neat appearance, particularly
on the inside where there is nothing between wooden frame and glass,
well nothing visible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

newbie wrote:
Just had a wooden casement cottage style window installed, 20/24mm
double glazed units were put in on site by builder. It doesn't appear
that he has used putty - is this normal?

Yes, putty is absolutely wrong for this.

There appears to be some glue
or sealant between the beading on the outside and the glass but that's
about it. It does give the window a very neat appearance, particularly
on the inside where there is nothing between wooden frame and glass,
well nothing visible.

He should have used low modulus neutral cure silicone sealer. The
glazing unit should have been supported all arould with soft plastic
spacers. The edge of the glazing unit should not contact the timber.
The inside should also be sealed, in case of condensation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbie

Thanks Chris.

a) Would I be able to see the spacers or would they now be hidden by
beading?

b) Would I be able to see the sealant on the inside or could it be
hidden also?

c) I have older (12 years) cottage windows with =8mm double glassed
units, which I am looking to gloss; they appear to have been sealed
with brown putty (or putty like substance) both inside and out. To get
a clean line between frame and window, I was thinking of the removing
glass and replace it after glossing the frames - could I use the
sealant on these. Is the clear sealant a relevantly new thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

newbie wrote:
a) Would I be able to see the spacers or would they now be hidden by
beading?

They'll be hidden.

b) Would I be able to see the sealant on the inside or could it be
hidden also?

It'll either have been civered by the beading, or there'll be a line
of it applied where the bead meets the glass. I'd expect you to be
able to see it here and there. Some people don't put sealer around
the inside - if the units are that thick there may well be no problem.

c) I have older (12 years) cottage windows with =8mm double glassed
units, which I am looking to gloss; they appear to have been sealed
with brown putty (or putty like substance) both inside and out. To get
a clean line between frame and window, I was thinking of the removing
glass and replace it after glossing the frames - could I use the
sealant on these. Is the clear sealant a relevantly new thing?

Clear has been around for ages. It may not be the best "colour",
depends. I shouldn't take the beading off, but get a "glass scraper",
a metal handle that holds a retractable single-edged razor blade.
Make sure you get one of these, not a plastic one, or one that uses
a Stanley knife blade. About £6 + a few blades. Paint the window, &
when it's dry, use the scraper to chisel off paint from the glass,
leaving a dead straight margin lapped onto the glass. Don't leave it
too long before you do this, or the paint may chip; too soon, and
it may smear. few days should be OK.

Storm window as main shed window? Dave K. Home Repair 3 July 25th 18 10:44 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Window Glazing Jay Pique Woodworking 21 December 8th 03 07:12 PM