Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window putty and latex question.

Did you hear what happened to the woman who couldn't tell
the difference between vaseline and putty?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"fatheyzeus" wrote in
message
m...
Hi there,

The company I paint for does a lot of heritage restoration
and currently
is exclusively using alkyd paint for our products. However,
we'd like to
start using more latex for drying time, environmental and
health reasons
etc.. The problem is that with the oil-based DAP window
putty we use; I've
read it's ok to paint latex over it after waiting for it to
dry, but I
don't think our customers really want to wait that long (and
many don't
want to do it themselves or have to pay a painter when it
does set up). I
wanted to try/suggest doing the entire sash/storm in latex
with latex
primer and finish, bed the glass and ONLY paint the putty
with an alkyd
colour match.

My question is: how important is it that paint overlap where
the putty
meets the wood? Will water penetrate that seal and damage
the putty
faster?