Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bondo vs Latex Putty?

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:11:18 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Bondo is essentially a "rubber" putty, cures faster and hardens better
than a latex putty. Resists water and takes well to paints.

I've seen Bondo used on a couple of doors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a
good
reason to prefer that product?

Bondo is essentially a "rubber" putty, cures faster and hardens better
than a latex putty. Resists water and takes well to paints.

I've seen Bondo used on a couple of doors.

bondo is talc added to putty, and isn't resistent to water unless it's
covered with something. it will be harder than a latex putty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure the definition of "putty" as used here, but the Bondo I am
familar with is a 2-part epoxy product. I never getting long enough setting
time but I've used it to repair dry rot after digging out the infected area
and treating with a borax solution.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:38:18 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a
good
reason to prefer that product?

Bondo is essentially a "rubber" putty, cures faster and hardens better
than a latex putty. Resists water and takes well to paints.

I've seen Bondo used on a couple of doors.

bondo is talc added to putty, and isn't resistent to water unless it's
covered with something. it will be harder than a latex putty.

I know Bondo resist staining. The wood sucks up the stain first. Paint
is the best cover up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "charlie" wrote:

bondo is talc added to putty,

Nonsense. Bondo is a two-part polyester resin, with various fillers of which
talc is only one of several. Polyester resin isn't the same thing as putty.
Bondo includes a hardener. Putty doesn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "charlie"
wrote:

bondo is talc added to putty,

Nonsense. Bondo is a two-part polyester resin, with various fillers of
which
talc is only one of several. Polyester resin isn't the same thing as
putty.
Bondo includes a hardener. Putty doesn't.

Can it be primed with something like Kilz, or does it need something
special?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 3:11*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep..
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk. Bondo the 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk. Bondo the 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondo is a polyester resin NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive than Bondo.

For interior repairs, Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondo is "ok" except
for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Well, one reason I like Bondo is the speed at which it sets up. That
can be an issue for some. It files, sands and paints well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Well, one reason I like Bondo is the speed at which it sets up. That
can be an issue for some. It files, sands and paints well.

Bondo cures and becomes solid whereas putty will remain soft. Bondo
putty refers to the putty like mix before it cures. I'd use it for
rotted areas which are cleaned to good wood. I've used epoxy but it is
more expensive than the polyester, Bondo. To extend epoxy in wood, I
sometimes blend with saw dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

bondo is talc added to putty,

Nonsense. Bondo is a two-part polyester resin, with various fillers of
which
talc is only one of several. Polyester resin isn't the same thing as
putty.
Bondo includes a hardener. Putty doesn't.

Can it be primed with something like Kilz, or does it need something
special?

Yes! No.

Cover the Bondo with paint - Not Stains!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some
windows. I already have some latex exterior putty which I can build
up in layers. The areas in question are about as wide as a pencil
and maybe twice that deep. I've heard that some people use Bondo for
these situations. Is there a good reason to prefer that product?

Well, one reason I like Bondo is the speed at which it sets up. That
can be an issue for some.

While it's still plastic,it's easier to shave down,cuts down on dusty
sanding.

It files, sands and paints well.

Bondo cures and becomes solid whereas putty will remain soft. Bondo
putty refers to the putty like mix before it cures. I'd use it for
rotted areas which are cleaned to good wood. I've used epoxy but it
is more expensive than the polyester, Bondo. To extend epoxy in wood,
I sometimes blend with saw dust.

try RAKA epoxy(a thin,boat-building epoxy);
they have kits that are not as expensive as West or System Three,and they
aren't the polyester resins either.

There are all sorts of fillers you can use with thin epoxy;
Wood flour,plastic microballoons,plastic fibers,chopped glass fibers,and
fumed silica.I mostly use wood flour and fumed silica.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

bondo is talc added to putty,

Nonsense. Bondo is a two-part polyester resin, with various fillers of which
talc is only one of several. Polyester resin isn't the same thing as putty.
Bondo includes a hardener. Putty doesn't.

Can it be primed with something like Kilz, or does it need something
special?

I've used Bondo several times before, for exactly the purpose you're
proposing, and it's worked well. I always used an oil-based primer on it. No
idea if a latex primer would work or not, but it sure oughta be primed with
something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some
windows. I already have some latex exterior putty which I can build
up in layers. The areas in question are about as wide as a pencil
and maybe twice that deep. I've heard that some people use Bondo
for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Bondo is essentially a "rubber" putty, cures faster and hardens
better than a latex putty. Resists water and takes well to paints.

I've seen Bondo used on a couple of doors.

bondo is talc added to putty, and isn't resistent to water unless it's
covered with something. it will be harder than a latex putty.

Bondo is talc (and other minerals) added to *polyester resin*, not putty.
It cures when a catalyst is added. When cured it is reasonably hard but not
as hard as plain polyester resin or polyester resin with cab-o-sil. Talc in
rock form is about as impervious as you can get, shouldn't be much different
in powder form; polyester resin isn't affected by water.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers.. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk. Bondo the 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondo is a polyester resin *NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive than Bondo.

For interior repairs, Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondo is "ok" except
for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood *from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob

I thought bondo was a type of epoxy since its two part, wont bondo
painted last a super long-long time
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just because there is a hardener...doesn't necessarily make it an
epoxy.
(although, I am not a chemist)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 7:51*am, Bob Villa wrote:
Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk.Bondothe 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondois a polyester resin *NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive thanBondo.

For interior repairs,Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondois "ok" except
for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood *from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob

I thoughtbondowas a type of epoxy since its two part, wontbondo
painted last a super long-long time

Just because there is a hardener...doesn't necessarily make it an
epoxy.
(although, I am not a chemist)- Hide quoted text -

". . .(although, I am not a chemst). . ."

I am. Bondo is an unsaturated polyester resin which "sets" through
the action of a peroxide hardener.

Misc stuff: -Reduce the peroxide level to slow the cure down and
give more working time. Test your ratio, too little peroxide may
not produce a complete cure.

-Good epoxy beats good polyester when exposed to
weather. However, in this application, the wood will go first.
You must measure the two parts correctly. Proportioning errors can
produce degraded epoxy.

-Good epoxy costs more and can cause allergic
reactions.

-I used painted Bondo ifor a rotted wood repair
at my daughter's house in Tampa. Looks good after 4 years.

-Jason
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to fill some rotted areas in the exterior frame of some windows. I
already have some latex exterior putty which I can build up in layers.. The
areas in question are about as wide as a pencil and maybe twice that deep.
I've heard that some people use Bondo for these situations. Is there a good
reason to prefer that product?

Latex putty will last 5 years, its junk. Bondo the 2 part epoxy will
out last you and maybe the wood.

I disagree....Bondo is a polyester resin *NOT an epoxy.

Epoxy is a better material & more expensive than Bondo.

For interior repairs, Bondo is fine, for exterior Bondo is "ok" except
for redwood.

If you want an exterior repait to last use an epxoy ........like
WoodEpox or LiquidWood *from www. abatron.com

cheers
Bob

I have some French doors where a dog scratched pretty deep into the
wood that surrounds the glass panels.

Would your recommendations work for that if I build it up in layers?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't need layers with either polyester or epoxy "putties". Best to
overfill slightly and cut off most of excess with a chisel after it has set
but still not really hard. Sand smooth when fully cured. OR - just over
fill and sand flush.

The nice thing about Bondo (polyester putty) is that you can control the set
time to a degree. Even setting slowly it is *much* faster (minutes) than
epoxies (overnight); additionally, it doesn't blush amines like epoxy nor
does it degrade under UV like epoxy.

With either, you need to *thoroughly* mix the resin with the catalyst. With
Bondo, the colored "cream" hardners are easier to use than liquid as the
color tells you visually how well they are mixed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the good info.

I think I will go with Bondo.

I am going to build a "form" for the repair using some scrap wood.
But it will be a while, the temp right now is 101 degrees.

Take care,

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
On Jun 26, 9:45 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

The nice thing about Bondo (polyester putty) is that you can control
the set time to a degree. Even setting slowly it is *much* faster
(minutes) than epoxies (overnight); additionally, it doesn't blush
amines like epoxy nor does it degrade under UV like epoxy.

Thanks for the good info.

I think I will go with Bondo.

I am going to build a "form" for the repair using some scrap wood.

You really don't need a form but if you use one you'll have to do something
to keep the Bondo from sticking to it. Wax works but could be a problem
when painting.

But it will be a while, the temp right now is 101 degrees.

If it's you that is suffering I empathisize; if you are worrying about the
Bondo, don't...heat just cures it faster.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It works great on interior apps, exterior as well but NOT good on
redwood!

I've had Bondo fail miserably on redwood window sills.
The Bondo repairs are were primed & painted with very good oil based
primer.
The repair failed in less than a year.

I called Bondo tech rep & got the comment "we don't recommend it for
use on redwood".

After that I switched to epoxy (www.abatron.com) for all exterior wood
repairs.

here's the best comparison I could find

http://www.redrockstore.com/resin.htm

cheers
Bob

BONDO: Any Way To Lengthen Set-Up Time ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 February 25th 21 12:19 PM
Wood Bondo? Gypsy Moth Home Repair 12 January 16th 09 01:36 PM
MDF, Pine, and Bondo fourrings Woodworking 35 May 11th 07 02:34 PM
Enamel over latex, latex over enamel and refinishing wood window trim. Dave Woodworking 2 February 24th 05 04:48 PM
Coloring Bondo Jamrelliot Woodturning 2 January 6th 05 12:16 AM