Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Default Eagle Scout project complete!

My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter
High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in
Indianapolis.

(Note to non-Catholics: the Stations of the Cross is a devotional intended to
encourage meditation on the sufferings and death of Jesus Christ. It consists
of fourteen icons depicting various events during His Passion, beginning with
his condemnation by Pilate, leading up to and ending with his body being laid
in the tomb.)

Photos of the completed project he
http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

Project concept, design, and management by my son.
Scrollsaw work by my wife.
Construction and installation by my son and over a dozen volunteer helpers.
Special thanks to Carter-Lee Lumber Company of Indianapolis
www.carterlee.com for their very generous donation of *all* of the lumber
used in this project.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Congratulations to your son.

Thanks, Ed.

Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

When he was a Cub Scout, his den and a few others took a field trip to the
Marshall Space Center in Huntsville AL. One sentence from their welcoming
program for the Scouts has stuck with me: "Every footprint on the moon was
left there by an Eagle Scout."

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Except this one in New Hampshire, he was fined for getting lost in the
mountains of NH.

http://alturl.com/biiw

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter
High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in
Indianapolis.

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter
High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in
Indianapolis.

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

On 2009-07-19, Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter
High School.......

Chrystonacrutch! ...that's one heckuva project. Your son did an amazing
job and definitely earned his Eagle badge.

Not quite sure why my linux box wouldn't play the photobucket slideshow in
any one of my three browsers (crash or blk screen), but here's the link to
view it manually:

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu355/milmacdotcom/

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article , Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter

High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in
Indianapolis.

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter
High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in
Indianapolis.
Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Absolutely, its the popular and required thing to do in a liberal
secular world to discredit non-secular beliefs...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Nice work. I'll bet your son will do OK in life.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Doug Miller wrote:

My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today:
construction and installation of the Stations of the
Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter

I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared,
etc.

What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Why was this even posted to alt.home.repair?

If your choice of newsgroups is not appropriate, then you can expect to
get some flack.

What the hell is comp.sys.tandem?

None of these groups are appropriate for the OP.

Are there no scouting groups?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snipped all but a.h.r since that's the only one I read]

First congrats to Doug's kid--

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:22:02 -0400, Some Guy wrote:

-snip-
I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared,
etc.

What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Boy Scout code;
A boy scout is . . .
trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Freindly, Courteous, Kind, obedient,
cheerful, . . . [a couple slip my mind, I think.] REVERENT,

They were preaching 'go to church' from the git-go.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

On Jul 19, 9:22*am, Some Guy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today:
construction and installation of the Stations of the
Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter

I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared,
etc.

What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Why was this even posted to alt.home.repair?

If your choice of newsgroups is not appropriate, then you can expect to
get some flack.

What the hell is comp.sys.tandem?

None of these groups are appropriate for the OP.

Are there no scouting groups?

the rec is like a family and Doug wanted to share a a"happy" moment
with his friends. If you are not educated enough to realize that, it
is better to keep your mouth shut rather than prove your
stupidity!

WOW! Eagle Scout....that will open doors for your son the rest of his
life and a wonderful foundation to build upon. Good Job DAD!
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-snip-
Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

mike from American Sycamore wrote:

the rec is like a family and Doug wanted to share a a"happy"
moment with his friends.

That's what e-mail is for.

If you are not educated enough to realize that, it
is better to keep your mouth shut rather than prove
your stupidity!

I don't know what usenet you read, but calling me stupid for calling
people on off-topic posts is just ignorant - you ****ing piece of
****. You want to start spouting verbal abuse at me, I'll come right
back at you.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

On 2009-07-19, Doug Miller wrote:
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and
installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal
Ritter High School.......

Chrystonacrutch! ...that's one heckuva project. Your son did an amazing
job and definitely earned his Eagle badge.

Not quite sure why my linux box wouldn't play the photobucket slideshow in
any one of my three browsers (crash or blk screen), but here's the link to
view it manually:

http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu355/milmacdotcom/

nb

That is odd, mine played it fine. Firefox, it may be a Flash Player plugin
problem. Showing Flash Player 10 using Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20080703 Mandriva/2.0.0.18-1.1mdv2008.0
(2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.18,
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.

It's something many parents would like to believe.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Very nice and especially the Eagle Scout accomplishment!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some Guy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today:
construction and installation of the Stations of the
Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter

I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared,
etc.

What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Scouting has always been about leadership, cooperation, teamwork and
contributing to the community...

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!
And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Why was this even posted to alt.home.repair?

Proud parent? Woodworking project?

If your choice of newsgroups is not appropriate, then you can expect to
get some flack.

What the hell is comp.sys.tandem?

None of these groups are appropriate for the OP.

Call the usenet cops!

Are there no scouting groups?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-snip-
Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

I think the research /has/ been done. I remember seeing some interesting
statistics, but it pre-dated the Internet and I can't remember the source.

You might find
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uts_of_America)
interesting, even though far from complete (my father, for example, is
not listed - but I still have his merit badge sash and Eagle Scout pin).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-snip-
Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in
life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Jim

I did see some information years ago. Many of our great achievers in this
country were Eagle Scouts.
http://www.scoutorama.com/eagle/eag_famous.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uts_of_America)

Another list; nine out of ten is not bad
This is a list of the top 10 most influential people who received the Eagle
Scout award. (This list is in no particular order)

1. Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S.
2. Michael F. Moore, Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker
3. Neil Armstrong, First man on the moon
4. James Lovell - Astronaut
5. Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer
6. William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart
7. J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation
8. Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City
9. Bill Gates, Sr., CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, father
of Microsoft founder Bill Gates
10. Mike Rowe, Host of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

I can't comment for other folks. But, I really love the
other churches. They get people spiritually aware, so the
people can recognize the Spirit.

And, congrats on your son's achievement.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

We all need to be devout secularists?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" wrote in message

Was that really necessary?

Absolutely, its the popular and required thing to do in a
liberal
secular world to discredit non-secular beliefs...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and
the blessings of eternal life in Heaven? Or do you just cry
all day with endless guilt?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

(Note to non-Catholics: the Stations of the Cross is a
devotional intended to
encourage meditation on the sufferings and death of Jesus
Christ. It consists
of fourteen icons depicting various events during His
Passion, beginning with
his condemnation by Pilate, leading up to and ending with
his body being laid
in the tomb.)

Photos of the completed project he
http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:33:24 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Stormin Mormon" ,
to say:

crosspost removed

Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and
the blessings of eternal life in Heaven? Or do you just cry
all day with endless guilt?

That's not a binary choice.

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Some Guy wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today:
construction and installation of the Stations of the
Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter

I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared,
etc.

What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

And my sympathies for raising a catholic.

Was that really necessary?

Why was this even posted to alt.home.repair?

If your choice of newsgroups is not appropriate, then you can expect
to get some flack.

What the hell is comp.sys.tandem?

None of these groups are appropriate for the OP.

Are there no scouting groups?

Now let's see, you've posted all of 31 messages to USENET going back about 3
weeks, and Doug has been posting to all the groups he linked for years, so
who in the Hell are _you_ to tell _him_ that he's doing wrong by sharing
something with his friends?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and
the blessings of eternal life in Heaven? Or do you just cry
all day with endless guilt?

I've never met a Catholic who "cried all day with endless guilt". I don't
know where people get the idea that Catholics are on some kind of guilt
trip--few of them that I have ever met are.

(Note to non-Catholics: the Stations of the Cross is a
devotional intended to
encourage meditation on the sufferings and death of Jesus
Christ. It consists
of fourteen icons depicting various events during His
Passion, beginning with
his condemnation by Pilate, leading up to and ending with
his body being laid
in the tomb.)

Photos of the completed project he
http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/u...view=slideshow

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article , Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-snip-
Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Only twelve men have walked on the Moon. Supposedly, _every one_ of them is an
Eagle Scout.

Good enough for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and
the blessings of eternal life in Heaven?

Of course we do.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Some Guy wrote:

mike from American Sycamore wrote:

the rec is like a family and Doug wanted to share a a"happy"
moment with his friends.

That's what e-mail is for.

And this group. If you've been around here awhile, you will know such postings
are generally welcome.

If you are not educated enough to realize that, it
is better to keep your mouth shut rather than prove
your stupidity!

I don't know what usenet you read, but calling me stupid for calling
people on off-topic posts is just ignorant

Then you'll know self appointed net police are discouraged everywhere on
Usenet.

- you ****ing piece of
****. You want to start spouting verbal abuse at me, I'll come right
back at you.

That's class. One bit of bad manners does not justify another.

-- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:44:53 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

-snip-
Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life
and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Only twelve men have walked on the Moon. Supposedly, _every one_ of them is an
Eagle Scout.

A quick look at Wikipedia casts doubt on that. Wiki would love the
corrections if you've got them.
I checked mostly because I didn't think a dozen astronauts had walked
on the moon-- then once I was there. . . .

Armstrong & Duke -Eagle
Mitchell & Scott - Life

No mention of scouting-
Aldrin, Conrad, Bean, Shepard, Irwin, Young, Cernan, Schmitt

I don't doubt that a lot of Eagle scouts have done well. There are a
couple million of them, more or less, so it is likely that lots of
them did well. [chances are that as a cross section of society, they
counted among the more privileged class so we should expect them to do
better than average]

But how do they rate against their peers? It would take a real
effort to sort them out, take a sample and compare their futures-- but
if we're just going to cite random scouts-- I've known 3 in my life.
1 was a good man, though outside of scouting you wouldn't call him
remarkable.

2 others were not. They didn't do as poorly as Eagle scouts Lee
Harvey Oswald, or serial killer scouts Robinson & Whitman, - but they
were general ne'er do wells.

Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Douglas Johnson wrote:

Some Guy wrote:

[...]

Now you know why I stopped visiting alt.home.repair
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.

I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on
the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you
attend Boys State?"

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,comp.sys.tandem

In article , "Ed Ahern" wrote:
Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.

Thank you.

I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on
the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you
attend Boys State?"

My son is two-for-two there -- and wanted to attend the Naval Academy.
He applied and was admitted, pending Congressional nomination. He applied for,
and received, a full-ride NROTC scholarship to the university of his choice.
Unfortunately, he was DQed from both on medical grounds. He's healthy as a
horse, with one exception: an anaphylactic allergic reaction to shellfish.