Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tip: Working in hot attic

I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might be
on to something...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Working in hot attic

I've done that in a hot cellar, one time. Another fellow and
I were installing central AC. Of course, it was killer hot.
I think the other guy thought of it, to run the central AC
for a few minutes, while we did the duct work. Did a good
job, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more
insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to
avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let
it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when
I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I
calculated he might be
on to something...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've done that in a hot cellar, one time. Another fellow and
I were installing central AC. Of course, it was killer hot.
I think the other guy thought of it, to run the central AC
for a few minutes, while we did the duct work. Did a good
job, too.

If only they had AC ductwork around the boiler in the power plant _TO_
unfasten!!!! Did a pulverized coal flow test in middle of July heat
wave about like this one outside St Louis some years ago. 140F roughly
around the boiler; it felt absolutely MAAAAHVULESS to go take break in
the doorway where outdoor temps were only 105F or so...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:57:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've done that in a hot cellar, one time. Another fellow and
I were installing central AC. Of course, it was killer hot.
I think the other guy thought of it, to run the central AC
for a few minutes, while we did the duct work. Did a good
job, too.

If only they had AC ductwork around the boiler in the power plant _TO_
unfasten!!!! Did a pulverized coal flow test in middle of July heat
wave about like this one outside St Louis some years ago. 140F roughly
around the boiler; it felt absolutely MAAAAHVULESS to go take break in
the doorway where outdoor temps were only 105F or so...

Reminds me of a time I was working on a BellSouth cable vault
( the little buried thingies they have all over, that are actually
pre-cast concrete equipment rooms lined with racks of gear, and only
the condensor and the hatch above ground ).

I would go in for 15 minutes, and have to take a break ( no
AC, it was hotter than hell in there ). As I stuck my head up the
hatch for some air, I was rejoicing in how cool it felt by comparison.

Then I remembered it was a 98 degree day, and very humid :-(

www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo online at www.pmilligan.net/palm/
Free 'People finder' program now at www.pmilligan.net/finder.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

HeyBub wrote:
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation
in his attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid
the 135°F attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm
done."
After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he
might be on to something...

I worked on a group-build of a church on a scorching hot day. It was a 48
hour build. Start Friday night and finish on Sunday night. Foundation and
concrete floor in, and the entire building built on the slab, brick
exterior, roof, drywall, carpet, heating & air conditioning all done in 48
hours.

Once the roof was on they started installing the HVAC. It was so hot that
once they had the evaporators installed and the power on, they got the AC
running before the drywall was up and the doors and windows installed. It
was soooo nice to have some cool as I was working intalling vacuum pipes on
the freshly drywalled and still wet mud on the ceiling before the T-bar guys
got started.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:46:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might be
on to something...

The only two downsides I can think of is cost (I would
consider it cheap for the comfort) and the possibility that it might
introduce fibers from the insulation into the home.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Glad I wasn't there!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message

If only they had AC ductwork around the boiler in the power
plant _TO_
unfasten!!!! Did a pulverized coal flow test in middle of
July heat
wave about like this one outside St Louis some years ago.
140F roughly
around the boiler; it felt absolutely MAAAAHVULESS to go
take break in
the doorway where outdoor temps were only 105F or so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might be
on to something...

I wonder if he were a plumber working in a hot basement, would he
flood it to cool off...?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Glad I wasn't there!

I'd gladly traded places...

On top of that, if you've ever been around pulverized coal, you can
imagine how pleasant extractive sampling from the coal pipes is...

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 14, 7:46*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might be
on to something...

I remember working on B-52's on the flight line when the outside temp
was 110 and inside the aircraft was 150+. They had a/c carts that
blew cold air thru a 12" flex duct into the plane. Even then it was
miserable. Same principle though as working in a hot attic. The chap
may have learned from a similar experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could have gone to church for me?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dpb" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Glad I wasn't there!

I'd gladly traded places...

On top of that, if you've ever been around pulverized coal,
you can
imagine how pleasant extractive sampling from the coal pipes
is...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume he goes downstairs and sets the thermostat to the 'icebox' setting?
Cool air will only come out of the open duct as long as the unit is running,
and I'd think (hope?) that the un-insulated attic area would heat back up a
lot faster than the rest of the house.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might
be on to something...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/14/2009 8:46 AM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:
I just had a conversation with a chap who's putting more insulation in his
attic. I jokingly reminded him to start at 3:00 a.m. to avoid the 135°F
attic temps we've been experiencing locally.

He said "Nah, no problem. I disconnect an A/C duct and let it cool the
attic. Gets it down to about 80-85°. I re-tape the duct when I'm done."

After reassembling the parts of my exploded brain, I calculated he might be
on to something...

I don't do much work in the attic, but if I am going to look for
something in all the boxes stored up there, I open some windows in the
room below and turn on the whole house fan. It won't get the attic much
cooler than the outside temps, but the breeze is nice.