Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic insulation: do attic floor, or roof, or what? And, how much work (ie $$$)?

Am a bit confused about how one does insulation in the
attic. I read here that for some attics, you insulate
the roof, and for other types, you do the floor.

Something to do with whether or not it's vented, I think.

Our house, 2-story (storey?), roughly 1940 or 35, has, we
believe, very little insulation.

I've heard that if the attic is all buttoned up, no air
from the outside flowing through, in THAT case one
insulates the roof -- between the rafters.

And, if there is flow, eg via soffits, then you do the
floor.

Is that true? and WHY the "rule"

Our attic has NO soffits -- but it does have an attic fan,
maybe a yard in diameter (the circle made by the blades),
with louvers to the outside (fan blowing air out opens
the louvers).

Now, I had mentioned to a self-employed light-construction
guy that I was interested in maybe insulating the house (at THAT
time oil was 100 a barrel or so!)

And he said his brother did insulation.

So, just 30 minutes ago, unannounced, they rang the doorbell.

The brother went up into the attic (roughly 15 by 8 yards in area,
via my stepping it off), and came down and said he could do
it for $12,000. (I had seen a show on the history channel's
modern marvels titled "insulation" -- how they made the stuff, etc
etc, and 10 min on doing a house -- sure looked easy nailing
that stuff up between the rafters (with plastic air channel
between it and the wood, avoiding moisture, etc)), so that
sure seemed a lot to me, and I said so.

He then said that he could do it, if we did it RIGHT NOW, for
10K$. Still too much, I said.

Then he said that his men weren't busy this week, and that if
we did it RIGHT NOW (ie tomorrow, for maybe 4 or 5 days work)
he could do it for $8,500.

--------------------

Not considering the quality of his work (who KNOWS what it
might be!), are those dollar figures in the "ballpark"?

And, is his statement that you do the roof, not the floor,
correct?

(man, that tv show made it look easy!)

But he said it's a LOT of work -- no, you don't staple
it up, nor those plastic air-flow things -- you must
SCREW THEM IN, CAREFULLY. etc.

It's my wife's house, and she'll be back from work in
three or so hours -- what, from you guys, do I suggest
to her?

Haven't had time to get alternate bids yet -- will try to
do it via phone-only, asking for any wild-assed guess
they might have.

THANKS FOR WHATEVER YOU CAN COME UP WITH, advice, info,
etc.

DAVID

(PS: re those windshield wipers, bosh site says that theydon't nave
them for ford focus 2000. But another site says they do! Confused!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 2:59*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
Am a bit confused about how one does insulation in the
attic. *I read here that for some attics, you insulate
the roof, and for other types, you do the floor.

Something to do with whether or not it's vented, I think.

Our house, 2-story (storey?), roughly 1940 or 35, has, we
believe, very little insulation.

I've heard that if the attic is all buttoned up, no air
from the outside flowing through, in THAT case one
insulates the roof -- between the rafters.

And, if there is flow, eg via soffits, then you do the
floor.

Is that true? * and WHY the "rule"

No. You apply the insulation between the rafters if the attic is
finished and heated. Otherwise, the insulation goes between the
ceiling joists, with the vapor barrier facing the interior. If you
did it the other way around, by not having adequate insulation at the
ceiling, you're letting heat travel from the living space into the
attic space, which is a waste. In essence, you'd be partially heating
the attic.

Depending on what you already have there, blown in insulation may be
a good choice. Or fiberglass batts. Curious as to why you say you
believe it has little insulation. It should be relatively easy to
figure out, no?

Our attic has NO soffits -- but it does have an attic fan,
maybe a yard in diameter (the circle made by the blades),
with louvers to the outside (fan blowing air out opens
the louvers).

Soffits venting to let air in, combined with a ridge vent or other
vents up high, eg gable vents, to let it out is best. If you have
no soffits, you should have some other vents for the air to come in
and then go out via the attic fan. But before an attic fan, you
should have good natural ventilation, ie enough places for the air to
come in and go out. You may be able to add soffit or other venting.

[...]

Total rip off. Ballpark, I'd say it's more than $5k too high Trust
your eyes and what you saw on TV. Go down to HD and price out the
insulation. You can do it yourself. They even rent the blowing
gizmos to do the blown-in type.

And, is his statement that you do the roof, not the floor,
correct?

(man, that tv show made it look easy!)

But he said it's a LOT of work -- no, you don't staple
it up, nor those plastic air-flow things -- you must
SCREW THEM IN, CAREFULLY. * etc.

That's BS. You staple the baffles and insulation. But as previously
discussed, in an unheated attic, you don't want it in the rafters and
you don't need the baffles. Except you would use baffles for the
first couple feet down by the soffit vents, if you had them, to keep
the insulation from blocking the soffit vents.

It's my wife's house, and she'll be back from work in
three or so hours -- what, from you guys, do I suggest
to her? *

Haven't had time to get alternate bids yet -- will try to
do it via phone-only, asking for any wild-assed guess
they might have.

THANKS FOR WHATEVER YOU CAN COME UP WITH, advice, info,
etc.

DAVID

(PS: re those windshield wipers, bosh site says that theydon't nave
them for ford focus 2000. *But another site says they do! *Confused!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote in message

The brother went up into the attic (roughly 15 by 8 yards in area,
via my stepping it off), and came down and said he could do
it for $12,000. (I had seen a show on the history channel's

10K$.

$8,500.

THANKS FOR WHATEVER YOU CAN COME UP WITH, advice, info,
etc.

As long as they didn't ask you to supply the KY Jelly, bend over and take
it like a man.

On the serious side, get a couple estimates from established insulation
contractors. Or at the very least, a contractor who knows what the heck
they're doing.

For my area, that would be an outrageous price, regardless of the type of
insulating. This coming from a person who used to be involved in
residential insulation. Of course, your area may be much, much, higher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can get a foot of blown cellulose put in for a dollar a sq ft. That
will give you R49 in your attic floor. Your 15x8 yard space should only be
$1,080. TEN THOUSAND!!!????? no way.

--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Just wait. You'll be cryin' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 1:59*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
[...]

10000, you might get it done for 1000. Is floor insulated now, is it
unheated and cold, then add more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Combs wrote:
Am a bit confused about how one does insulation in the
attic. I read here that for some attics, you insulate
the roof, and for other types, you do the floor.

Oh, quick note: am in New Rochelle, NY ("westchester"),
maybe 15miles north of north edge of bronx. (45min train ride) to NYC

And, did wikipedia on thermometers then infrared-thermometers (wiki
too) and then amazon, which has fluke for maybe $100 and raytek mt6
for about 50 or so (for looking at house for hot vs cold spots) --
both have lasers for measuring the temp (or pointing the thing?)

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You appear to have 1080 square feet (45x24). Around these parts
(Chicagoland) for 8 inches of blown-in R30 the price will range from .
75 to 1.50 per square foot depending on ease of access, if they have
to block the soffits, non-flat tray ceilings, etc. Because all these
things increase the time.

But for a flat attic without soffits (insulation must not get into the
soffits) you should be getting this job for $1100 to $1500 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 3:52*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
In article ,

David Combs wrote:
Am a bit confused about how one does insulation in the
attic. *I read here that for some attics, you insulate
the roof, and for other types, you do the floor.

Oh, quick note: am in New Rochelle, NY ("westchester"),
maybe 15miles north of north edge of bronx. *(45min train ride) to NYC

And, did wikipedia on thermometers then infrared-thermometers (wiki
too) and then amazon, which has fluke for maybe $100 and raytek mt6
for about 50 or so (for looking at house for hot vs cold spots) --
both have lasers for measuring the temp (or pointing the thing?)

David

If you want to know get a blower door test and Thermal photograph. I
have IR thermometers and its deceptive to use, radioshack for 30$.
www.energystar.gov has info on insulation
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Combs" wrote

Am a bit confused about how one does insulation in the
attic. I read here that for some attics, you insulate
the roof, and for other types, you do the floor.

Correct.
Funny this thread as I know a little on attics but just had to ask for help
for my Mom on under a trailer (something i know very little about).

Something to do with whether or not it's vented, I think.

So I gather. Case in point. I lived for a time as a college student in an
attic i finished off. It had a casement window on one end and I blocked off
the rest of the attic with blankets (looked better than leaving it open and
no money for better). Insulating the roof side made little difference to
the house proper below the attic due to the windows etc 'other air openings'
for ventilation. Doing the floor would have helped there for the main
floor. Doing *both* made the attic room fairly habitable as living space in
winter while reducing our overall heating bill.

Yours is not a living space so you get most 'bang for the buck' in doing the
floor.

Now, I had mentioned to a self-employed light-construction
guy that I was interested in maybe insulating the house (at THAT
time oil was 100 a barrel or so!)

And he said his brother did insulation.

So, just 30 minutes ago, unannounced, they rang the doorbell.

Although I've had reasonable relations with folks who just dropped by, this
fellow is not reasonable in prices at all.

Not considering the quality of his work (who KNOWS what it
might be!), are those dollar figures in the "ballpark"?

Nope. Not even close.

And, is his statement that you do the roof, not the floor,
correct?

Not in your case. It's not a living space and you seem to have a big
airflow open to outside in the roof if I understand the attic fan design.

(man, that tv show made it look easy!)

It is.

But he said it's a LOT of work -- no, you don't staple
it up, nor those plastic air-flow things -- you must
SCREW THEM IN, CAREFULLY. etc.

BWAHAHA! He's not only a rip off, he doesnt understand the job.

three or so hours -- what, from you guys, do I suggest
to her?

Haven't had time to get alternate bids yet -- will try to
do it via phone-only, asking for any wild-assed guess
they might have.

Get a real professional if you want but this one really is easy to do
yourself. I never even saw a show on it and did my first 'attic' alone when
I was 11 with only my sister to help hand the bales up to me from a ladder.
This a roughly 2,000 square foot home. If I recall correctly, I did it in
about 6 hours and wasnt even remotely rushing. (Mom flipped houses when I
was a kid with us 3 kids to help, though we didnt call it flipping then).

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
[...]

You've got 1080 sq ft. I happen to have recently priced batts at Lowes.
Eleven 2x4' 13" R30 in a pack (88 sq ft) for $66. That's seventy-five cents
per sq ft., or $810 for your house. Plus tax.

Call it $1000.00 for materials, delivery, misc.

You should be able to install these, yourself, in a week-end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was going to post that for $10,000 I'd fly anywhere in the U.S. and
do the job for you (and I'm a stand-up comedian, not a contractor, but
I just insulated my attic to R-60 and clearly $10,000 is about five or
ten times too much).

Then I read that you're in New Rochelle; I live in Pelham (a bordering
town)-- if your post is serious and you want some help, I'd be glad to
offer a few pointers (for nothing) since you really sound like you
need help! go to my website www.BrainChampagne.com and you can
contact me through there.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 9:30*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
I was going to post that for $10,000 I'd fly anywhere in the U.S. and
do the job for you (and I'm a stand-up comedian, not a contractor, but
I just insulated my attic to R-60 and clearly $10,000 is about five or
ten times too much).

Then I read that you're in New Rochelle; I live in Pelham (a bordering
town)-- if your post is serious and you want some help, I'd be glad to
offer a few pointers (for nothing) since you really sound like you
need help! *go to my websitewww.BrainChampagne.comand you can
contact me through there.

Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: *Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

One of Obama;s plans is to have a govt program to insulate 2mil
homes. The crew that visited David sound like they are conducting
test marketing. I can only imagine the waste and ripp offs that will
accompany this new govt program. If the govt is handing out money, I
can see abandoned houses without windows getting insulation blown into
the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

**********************************************8

You can see lots of things, but reality is a little beyond you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As a number of people have pointed out, the estimate appears to be way
way too high. Insulation is not that expensive and not that difficult
to install. And almost always it should be installed on the floor of
the attic (between the joists, and/or on the floor if it is floored)
not up by the rafters. The rafter installation is only if the attic
is occupied (you've got a bedroom or office or something up there)
(which by the way is usually against some kind of local code).

A couple other points - (1) it sounds like you've never been up
there. You should go up there and carefully look around. Even if you
don't venture beyond standing on a ladder with your head in the attic,
you will learn something by looking and seeing what is already there.
That knowledge can be helpful when researching the project and talking
to contractors about it. For example it would be good to know how much
insulation is already there. (2) The way this unfolded should be a
lesson. The fact that the person kept dropping the price and urging a
quick decision should raise a red flag. A big red flag. Find ways to
get reputable people with references when having work done on your
home. (3) The attic should have some kind of ventilation besides that
fan; for the fan to effectively move air, the air has to come from (or
go) somewhere. Is there a vent at the other end of the attic from the
fan? Are there any "mushroom" type vents that stick up from the
roof? If there really is no venting, that should be corrected in
addition to having the insulation added. Good luck -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 8:43*am, wrote:
[...]

I jumped on the old Jimmy Carter energy program for a few years in the
80's, took the tax credits to buy insulation I really didn't need,
what a waste of govt money. Reagan ended that program in 1986 or so,
but if they are going to give out free money in a govt program, I'll
ride it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Heathcliff wrote:

As a number of people have pointed out, the estimate appears to be way
way too high. Insulation is not that expensive and not that difficult
to install. And almost always it should be installed on the floor of
the attic (between the joists, and/or on the floor if it is floored)
not up by the rafters. The rafter installation is only if the attic
is occupied (you've got a bedroom or office or something up there)
(which by the way is usually against some kind of local code).

A couple other points - (1) it sounds like you've never been up
there.

Oh yes I have, lotsa times.

It's just that the hinge in the middle of the pull-down-and-unfold
ladder is looking a bit weaker than it used to, and at 200 lbs,
"the boss" doesn't want me breaking the ladder (hmmm, what about
my back?).

You should go up there and carefully look around. Even if you
don't venture beyond standing on a ladder with your head in the attic,
you will learn something by looking and seeing what is already there.

A guy went up there and did look around (less than 200 lbs!), said
that under the floorboards there was indeed some insulation, some OLD
OLD insulation, that he said just can't still be much good now.

Also, as in lots of houses, I guess, there's lots of heavy stuff
stored up there on the floorboards. Not that that's too important,
since there's room to slide it all around, leaving space to do
one part at a time.

FWIW, the inverted-V of the roof comes down SMALLER than the house.
maybe hits the floor 7 or 8 feet from the outer wall.

Again, the only roof-opening is the one for the attic-fan.

No, no mushroom-things on the roof, no soffits, no nothing -- just
the fan (maybe 4 foot in diameter, with louvered barrier to the
outside.

Apparantely it would be a lot CHEAPER to do the roof -- much
less labor.

FWIW: just today I (finally) ordered books, a hard disk, lotsa
books, AND a
$99-$58 "ASIN: B000O80B5M" "Raytek MT6 MiniTemp Infrared thermometer"
from amazon. Will get here in what, 5 days or so?

So maybe that will help choose what to do?

That knowledge can be helpful when researching the project and talking
to contractors about it. For example it would be good to know how much
insulation is already there. (2) The way this unfolded should be a
lesson. The fact that the person kept dropping the price and urging a
quick decision should raise a red flag. A big red flag. Find ways to
get reputable people with references when having work done on your
home. (3) The attic should have some kind of ventilation besides that
fan; for the fan to effectively move air, the air has to come from (or
go) somewhere. Is there a vent at the other end of the attic from the
fan? Are there any "mushroom" type vents that stick up from the
roof? If there really is no venting, that should be corrected in
addition to having the insulation added. Good luck -- H

Thanks for your comments!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 6:46*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
In article ,

Heathcliff wrote:

[...]

The thermometer will be fun, and will help you pinpoint areas of
concern, but it won't help you determine whether to insulate the attic
floor or the roof.

If there's a chance that the attic might be finished off some day, and
there's enough headroom up there, you might want to insulate the
rafters. Do it the right way. Basically everything the surprise-I'm-
here contractor told you is wrong, so feel free to purge that
information from your memory.

The question of where you should insulate, the floor or roof, comes
down to what you personally want to do with the space, how often you
plan on doing it and whether you want the attic to siphon off heating
dollars from your downstairs living space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all!

David