Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing door gaskets on refrigerator and freezer

I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Easy job for a handy guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

William Munny wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Easy job for a handy guy.

IIRC, a sink full of soapy hot water and a couple of butter knives were
all I needed. I've never installed a brand new gasket, but I have had to
reinstall a couple where kids or the dog pulled it partially off, and
where my brother had removed and fiberglassed a cracked insert in the
door. Stare at it awhile and figure where the metal and plastic edges
fit in the slots, get one corner started, and work your way around. The
hot water and soap degunk old ones, and get the packing kinks out of new
ones. Wet and soapy allows you to fine-tune reality a little as you go,
like if the second corner on the gasket comes an inch before the second
corner on the door.

But that was a lotta years ago- there could be something I am forgetting.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

But that was a lotta years ago- there could be something I am forgetting.

I'm betting you rememberwell.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zz Yzx | 2009-07-01 | 4:34:44 PM wrote:

I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

I haven't looked up your model but the general procedure is:

1. Remove the old gasket by taking out the screws.

2. Install the new gasket by gently stretching it into place and
putting back the screws. Don't twist the gasket as you tighten the
screws.

3. Put a little vaseline (_very_ little) on the surface of the new
gasket to let it slide a little as the door closes. This keeps the
gasket from deforming on the hinge side.

4. Test for good seal. Close the door on a dollar bill. Try to pull out
the bill with the door closed. If you get resistance, the seal is good.
If it's easy to pull out, the seal is bad at that spot. Check every six
inches or so all around the door. If you find a bad spot, fiddle with
the gasket by loosening and tightening the nearby screws.

5. If the door won't stay closed, force it closed with a strap or duct
tape for a day. That will convince the new gasket that you're the boss.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 14:34:44 -0700, Zz Yzx
wrote:

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Done, took about 3 hrs.

A little tedious, and downright irritating at times. I finally got
smart and took the doors off.

-Zz
Posted to alt.home.repair

"William Munny" wrote in message
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Easy job for a handy guy.

It's easy to do right but it's also easy to mess up.

Some "tricks" include warming tha gasket and being careful when you
re-assemble the door that you ensure that in your screw tightening sequence
you don't warp the door. Usually you set your drill driving your bits to
minimum torque and install all the screws. You check for warp and, if
needed, you 'bend' the door. Up the torque of your drill and repeat.

and REPEAT.

IOW: go slow and make sure you don't warp the door. The door is quite
solid when the inside line is firmly attached. Until then, it's a very
flexible piece of tin. You have to do whatever it takes to keep from
warping the door.