David Combs

Default installing refrig/freezer door gaskets: how difficult?

Just how difficult would it be to do our own installing
of refrig door-gaskets?

(refrig on top, freezer on bottom. Amana)

(and what is usual cost for paying someone to do it?)

Thanks,

David

DanG

Not a very difficult project. The biggest chore is dealing with
the contents of the unit. A freezer door gasket should take about
20 minutes. No idea what an appliance man would charge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"David Combs" wrote in message
Just how difficult would it be to do our own installing
of refrig door-gaskets?

(refrig on top, freezer on bottom. Amana)

(and what is usual cost for paying someone to do it?)

Thanks,

David

Dugie

"David Combs" wrote in message ...
Just how difficult would it be to do our own installing
of refrig door-gaskets?

(refrig on top, freezer on bottom. Amana)

(and what is usual cost for paying someone to do it?)

Thanks,

David

Not difficult, I've done it. Checking a generic repair manual, like "The Reader's Digest Fix-it-Yourself Manual", or
other books at your local public library, will give great tips. A wild guess: I think a repairman would charge $70
and up for labor.

I removed the door from the 'fridge first, using the hinges. Then put the door on the floor. Be very careful
removing the old gaskets.

When installing the new gaskets, one tip is lay the door on a flat surface, like a table. It helps in keeping the
door flat while trying to position the gaskets..
Also, don't totally tighten any screws until you have a final and tight fit with the door in place on the 'fridge.
Adjust the door as necessary by twisting the door, then tighten. Good luck.

- Doug

Dave Harnish

Hi David,

First thing that comes to my mind is, why *both* seals?
I rarely see them both fail at once...

Assuming it's an older refrig, and not one of the newer
ones with 'foamed-in-place' (glued!) seals, this isn't a
bad job. Hardest part's getting the doors 're-warped'
correctly after the new seals are on.

Start with the freezer door - it's the easiest. Throw the
new seal in your electric dryer on high heat for 5 minutes
(no longer!), or soak it in a bathtub full of hot water, to
help with the wrinkles, while you loosen the orig screws
and peel the old seal. No need to remove the doors or
unload your food; I've replaced door seals for 32 years,
and never had to do either.

If you think it may take you a while - and your first one
might - just use a few large magnets (I use old microwave
magnetron magnets - duct tape might work too) to hold
an old blanket or large piece of cardboard over the door
opening while you work. That way you won't feel rushed.

The fresh food section's a little harder, bc it tends to
'warp' and twist more, being larger. But take your time,
being sure the new seal's completely worked under the
mounting strips - especially watch this in the corners.

If your refrig *is* one of the newer ones that don't mount
the seals with screws, don't attemp it yourself - call a pro,
and get an estimate first.

I usually replace a single seal for our service call/labor rate,
currently $72.00, but rates can vary wildly depending on
where you are.

The most important part of the whole job is the lubrication
of the new seals. I'll bet yours twisted and tore on the hinge
side, right? A small film of petroleum jelly will prevent this
from ever happening again. Some manufacturers *used* to
apply this at the factory, but I haven't seen them do that since
the late 70's. They've been selling lots of seals since grin.

For more on that, see this little article, excerpted from my
newsletter:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYrefseallube.htm

Hope that's of some help.

Happy Thanksgiving, and God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"David Combs" wrote in message
Just how difficult would it be to do our own installing
of refrig door-gaskets?

(refrig on top, freezer on bottom. Amana)

(and what is usual cost for paying someone to do it?)

Thanks,

David

Abe

Start with the freezer door - it's the easiest. Throw the
new seal in your electric dryer on high heat for 5 minutes
(no longer!), or soak it in a bathtub full of hot water, to
help with the wrinkles, while you loosen the orig screws

------------------------
That's too long in the dryer. 2 minutes - 3 at most, then let it sit
and absorb the ambient heat.

DanG wrote:

Not a very difficult project. The biggest chore is dealing with
the contents of the unit. A freezer door gasket should take about
20 minutes. No idea what an appliance man would charge.

You'll need a hair-dryer, though.

David Combs

In article ,
Abe wrote:
Start with the freezer door - it's the easiest. Throw the
new seal in your electric dryer on high heat for 5 minutes
(no longer!), or soak it in a bathtub full of hot water, to
help with the wrinkles, while you loosen the orig screws

That's too long in the dryer. 2 minutes - 3 at most, then let it sit
and absorb the ambient heat.

Thanks so much for all the info!

Really appreciate it!

David