Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default replacing door gaskets on refrigerator and freezer

"William Munny" wrote in message
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Easy job for a handy guy.

It's easy to do right but it's also easy to mess up.

Some "tricks" include warming tha gasket and being careful when you
re-assemble the door that you ensure that in your screw tightening sequence
you don't warp the door. Usually you set your drill driving your bits to
minimum torque and install all the screws. You check for warp and, if
needed, you 'bend' the door. Up the torque of your drill and repeat.

and REPEAT.

IOW: go slow and make sure you don't warp the door. The door is quite
solid when the inside line is firmly attached. Until then, it's a very
flexible piece of tin. You have to do whatever it takes to keep from
warping the door.