Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default replacing door gaskets on refrigerator and freezer

William Munny wrote:
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to replace the gaskets on my refrigerator and freezer doors (15
year old Amana BZ20RL). Rplacing the unit isn;t an option right now.

I can get the gaskets online (RepairClinic. com, &tc.).

The Question: Is replacement any easy process? Or best left to a
knowledgable technician. I'm good with tools, I just don;t want to
end up going a week without a referigerator.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Easy job for a handy guy.

IIRC, a sink full of soapy hot water and a couple of butter knives were
all I needed. I've never installed a brand new gasket, but I have had to
reinstall a couple where kids or the dog pulled it partially off, and
where my brother had removed and fiberglassed a cracked insert in the
door. Stare at it awhile and figure where the metal and plastic edges
fit in the slots, get one corner started, and work your way around. The
hot water and soap degunk old ones, and get the packing kinks out of new
ones. Wet and soapy allows you to fine-tune reality a little as you go,
like if the second corner on the gasket comes an inch before the second
corner on the door.

But that was a lotta years ago- there could be something I am forgetting.

--
aem sends...