Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odd project

I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 29, 8:44*am, FlaBill wrote:
I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill

Your tools are dull. Alternatively, try a heated needle for a small
hole, a piece of hot metal tubing for something larger. Most plastics
are more or less machinable so your technique needs refining.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill wrote in message
I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work. What would you suggest?

Are you attempting this with a hand drill or a drill press? How large is the
drill bit and how have you secured the glasses? Are these the 10-for-$1.99
"beach combers" that kids love? Are you using an old drill bit that might've
lost its cutting edge or a new out-of-the-package bit?

When I did this, I used a 1/32" bit, locked the entire package down on top
of my drill press, wood block underneath, and dropped it down SLOWLY. It
took several minutes of tedious work but I was able to do it. I first tried
it with my hand drill and quickly decided a drill press was the better tool.

If you have a plastics shop (TAP comes to mind but I haven't seen one in
years) near you, they might also offer some tools for "punching" the holes.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:44:06 -0700 (PDT), FlaBill
wrote:

I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill

Without knowing exactly how you are trying and exactly what
you want, it is difficult to offer suggestions.

How big of a hole? Are you drilling slow or fast RPM? Are
you using little or a lot of pressure? In what way does it not seem
to work? What tool are you using? Are you holding the object and
tool securely (like a clamped part while using a drill press?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.

If the LENSES are actually plastic, try heating a small nail to RED HOT,
then apply it to the lens to melt a small (pilot) hole.
Drill out to correct size later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FlaBill wrote:
I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill

Excimer Laser should do the job nicely.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:27:31 -0400, wrote:

Use a Dremel and grind the hole.

Thought the same thing. Maybe a step bit would work.

pic:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../335325_lg.jpg

Seconded on the step drill recommendation.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill

What doesn't seem to work? Most any drill will cut plastic, use a
medium speed. So the tip doesn't wander around, apply some masking
tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:13:04 -0700 (PDT), FlaBill
wrote:

On Jun 29, 1:09*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
FlaBill wrote:
I have a need to make a hole in the center of plastic sunglasses.
Drills or hole saws don't seem to work.
What would you suggest?
Bill

Excimer Laser should do the job nicely.

TDD

Thank you all for fine suggestions. The glasses are $1 type until I
find the best way to put a 3/4" hole in center. Please don't ask me
what for...I will have to kill you but will reveal the reason
when successful.
I'm inclined to try the heated points first then enlarge with tubing
until the right size is met.\
This means a lot to me and I am grateful for you input. You all may be
participating in a major discovery.
Bill

You arn't making a pair of those glasses that allow you to see through
clothing, are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:13:04 -0700 (PDT), FlaBill

Thank you all for fine suggestions. The glasses are $1 type until I
find the best way to put a 3/4" hole in center. Please don't ask me
what for...I will have to kill you but will reveal the reason
when successful.
I'm inclined to try the heated points first then enlarge with tubing
until the right size is met.\
This means a lot to me and I am grateful for you input. You all may be
participating in a major discovery.
Bill

Did someone beat you to it?

http://www.carnivalsource.com/images/products/2530.jpg

LOL - probably where he got the idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drill press. Hole saw. VERY gentle feed pressure, very slow
RPM. That's what comes to my mind.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"FlaBill" wrote in message

Thank you all for fine suggestions. The glasses are $1 type
until I
find the best way to put a 3/4" hole in center. Please don't
ask me
what for...I will have to kill you but will reveal the
reason
when successful.
I'm inclined to try the heated points first then enlarge
with tubing
until the right size is met.\
This means a lot to me and I am grateful for you input. You
all may be
participating in a major discovery.
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:27:31 -0400, wrote:

Use a Dremel and grind the hole.

Thought the same thing. Maybe a step bit would work.

pic:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../335325_lg.jpg

Those work very well for drilling holes in plastic
but you have to keep the speed low or the plastic
will melt.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Drill press. Hole saw. VERY gentle feed pressure, very slow
RPM. That's what comes to my mind.

I've actually used conduit KO punches to
put a round hole in plastic. It works
quite well.

TDD

A useful little project Don Foreman Metalworking 37 July 16th 08 05:21 AM
Project help [email protected] Metalworking 6 February 27th 08 09:03 PM
OT New project Robatoy Woodworking 16 April 9th 07 05:09 PM
Help with my first project [email protected] Woodworking 2 July 7th 06 07:33 PM
Looking for a project Prometheus Woodworking 17 October 2nd 04 05:38 AM