Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall speaker jacks

Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

Some amps designed to be able to drive multiple sets of speakers have
switching built-in that allows you to select which speakers will be powered.
If the manual for your amp/receiver does not specify that it is capable of
operating multiple speakers at one time then be cautious about how you do
this. If you try to operate mulitple sets of speakers with an amp not
designed for that task you can run into problems including killing the
amplifier. You also need to consider the guage of the speaker wire you use
as long runs of wire create their own issues.

http://www.smartbuyspeakers.com/multiple_speakertech

http://axiomaudio.com/tips_multiple_speakers.html

http://ambery.com/6stspseamsws.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SSW-Speak.../dp/B00005NCWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

One of the best sources for information and products
I've seen is Smarthome.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/index.aspx

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

Hi,
It is not a good idea to turn on/off at the speaker end with a switch.
In that case you use a Pad like volume control maintaining proper Z load
on the speaker circuit. Or you control speakers at the amp. end possibly
with a remote. Some amps. have multi-zone A/V capability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:56:57 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

No, and for good reason. You can mess up an amp when the speaker
power has no load. Most amps will have On/Off controls, many are
equipped with separate speaker systems. For example, my Yamaha amp
can play the radio in my theater room or kitchen or both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need something like one of these:
http://www.a1components.com/subcategory.aspx?pid=267 , but not that the
selector is at a central location, not at the wall jack.
--
Peace,
BobJ

wrote:

Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

No, and for good reason. You can mess up an amp when the speaker
power has no load. Most amps will have On/Off controls, many are
equipped with separate speaker systems. For example, my Yamaha amp
can play the radio in my theater room or kitchen or both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

This might be more appropriate for an audio forum, but I can't find
one!

I'm looking to install speakers in my house connected to a single
receiver, with wires running through the walls. And I want to be able
to turn speakers on and off. So I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PH6207...dp/B0009AD4KE/

but with an on/off switch. Is anyone aware of a product like that?

Thanks!

Aaron

No, and for good reason. *You can mess up an amp when the speaker
power has no load. * Most amps will have On/Off controls, many are
equipped with separate speaker systems. *For example, my Yamaha amp
can play the radio in my theater room or kitchen or both.

Thanks! Can you recommend a receiver with many zones. Yours sounds
like it has just two... I would like five or six.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've safely run\controlled mutiple speakers using Niles products.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_se....php?catcdID=7

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 28, 10:45*pm, "gilb" wrote:

Thanks! Can you recommend a receiver with many zones. Yours sounds
like it has just two... I would like five or six.

I've safely run\controlled mutiple speakers using Niles products.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_se....php?catcdID=7

I second the Niles recommendation - very nice stuff. I'm running four
pairs through this:
http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...es/ssvc-4.html

They also make a six pair selector:
http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/...es/ssvc-6.html