Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott P

Default Data/Telecom/TV Combo Wall Jacks

A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new
house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation
wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want
to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together
things. They look silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Leviton makes combination plates in Decora style, but only two devices to a
plate, so you'd need two gang boxes to have three devices

"Elliott P" wrote in message
oups.com...
A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new
house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation
wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want
to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together
things. They look silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

Leviton makes combination plates in Decora style, but only two devices to a
plate, so you'd need two gang boxes to have three devices

Leviton also makes a whole line of plates with up to six jack inserts,
also in the decora style for anything you could want to run.

Just look around under telecom supplies.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Elliott P wrote:
A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new
house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation
wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want
to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together
things. They look silly.

Start looking at Electrical Supply catalogs, not home depot. Think of
the things you have seen in business installations, then spec a similar
config to the contractor.

Leviton does make several styles, but they are not the only source for
this sort of product.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul

"Elliott P" wrote in message
oups.com...
A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new
house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation
wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want
to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together
things. They look silly.

Check www.sandman.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dmitri

Elliott P wrote:

A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new
house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation
wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want
to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together
things. They look silly.

Most manufacturers make keystone-type faceplates that will let you have up
to 5 RJ45 and 1 coax jack for the total of six devices in a one-gang
faceplate. Check Leviton in a Home Depot, obviously, but if you want a
little better quality, ask your contractors to use Hubbell or Commscope.
They should be able to get those jacks (almost) as cheap as Leviton from
the same supply houses, especially Hubbell.

One other suggestion: do not use RJ12(11) jacks at all. CAT6 won't
terminate on such jack - too few connectors - and you can easily plug an
RJ11/12 plug into a RJ45 (8 pin 8 positions) jack anyways. Simply go all
RJ45 for all your twisted pair.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------
--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott P

Thanks everyone you've been a huge help. Here is good website for tips
for future reference: http://www.swhowto.com/index.htm

Now, I'm going to go with something like ICC which I liked. Question,
if I used Cat 6 for both data and phone, is there any color standard
for the jacks? Some places have blue phone lines for instance. Also, is
it optimal to put a wireless access point in the basement, attic, or
somewhere on the ground floor?