Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fence post question - attach to house or not?

I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 6:41*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my *house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Are fences governed by your local authorities? They are where I live.

Permits and plans are required. If so, ask them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and
just bolt the post to the house itself.

Potential termites, rot, resale value and wind damage to the house.

Dig the hole about a foot from the foundation and extend the stringer past
the post leaving at least a 1/2" gap between the fence and the house.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Wood touching wood would be inviting termites (kind of poetic, 'eh?).
If the house is brick, not a factor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Colbyt wrote:

Potential termites, rot, resale value and wind damage to the house.

Dig the hole about a foot from the foundation and extend the stringer past
the post leaving at least a 1/2" gap between the fence and the house.

The gap also provides space in case the house must be tented for fumigation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:41:05 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and
just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Dont even put in a post by the house. Just put a loop on the end of
the barbed wire and staple that loop right to your plastic siding.
Just be sure the staples are long enough to penetrate the siding, the
foam insulation, and embed at least an inch into the 2x4 framing. Use
at least 4 staples into the house for each strand of barbed wire.

Barbed ware is soo industrial-military looking. I prefer a more rustic
approach. I'm putting broken glass along the top of the fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 3:41*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my *house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Not only would I not attach the fence to the house, I would have a
gate near the house with the hinge side away from the house to allow
easy access for painting, ladders, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and
just bolt the post to the house itself.

Thanks everyone for your comments. So the general consensus is not to do it,
for various reasons. I know it's done a lot, but I'm favoring the
post-next-to-the-house approach also, as most of you recommended.

I talked to the city - permits are not required if the fence is less then 6'
(what if it is exactly 6'? OK, mine is officially 5' 11.99") and it doesn't
violate zoning - I checked that already. The girl in the permit office told
me her fence has a post bolted directly to the house lol. The old fence I'm
moving does that to, and I don't like it - hence the question here and my
desire to put a post next to the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 3:41 pm, "Zootal" wrote:
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question: is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've
seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and
just
bolt the post to the house itself.

Not only would I not attach the fence to the house, I would have a
gate near the house with the hinge side away from the house to allow
easy access for painting, ladders, etc.

I actually thought of putting a post 4' from the house and hanging a gate on
that, and putting the gate latch on the house. That takes care of the
problem of putting a post near or on the house, and leaves a 4 foot
clearance when the gate is open. Wife won't like it - her flower garden
sticks out two feet, so we are in negotiation about this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2009 4:06 PM Colbyt spake thus:

"Zootal" wrote in message

I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house.
Question: is there any reason not to attach a fence post to the
house itself? I've seen people around here do it both ways - sink a
post next to the house, and just bolt the post to the house
itself.

Potential termites, rot, resale value and wind damage to the house.

"Potential" being the key word here.

I attached a post (pressure-treated) to the outside of a client's house
(with lag bolts). The wall was stucco, so there's minimal chance of rot
spreading via the post to their house. Wind damage is not an issue here.
Resale value? Presumably the gates and fences I added increase the
resale value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house. Question:
is
there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house itself? I've
seen
people around here do it both ways - sink a post next to the house, and
just
bolt the post to the house itself.

You'd answer your own question when you went to dig for the post. At a lot
of house corners, the foundation under the soil has overflow or
irregularities that prohibit one from digging a pole hole right next to a
corner. You could either hook on to the house, or dig the hole a couple of
feet out, and make a wing to cover the two feet. I'd do the wing thing, as
drilling way into the house to get deep enough to hit a corner post would
have to penetrate stucco, siding, or whatever the house is made of, making
an infiltration route for water and insects.

YMM(and probably does)V

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
[...]

Most zoning codes are thin fences. Walls are another matter.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote:
I talked to the city - permits are not required if the fence is less then
6' (what if it is exactly 6'? OK, mine is officially 5' 11.99") and it
doesn't violate zoning - I checked that already.

A fence of any height is permitted until someone complains about it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ot-379402-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 May 2017 18:44:02 GMT, MBowland
m wrote:

replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The electric company wanted to put something on my AC to turn it off
during a brownout. I asked for this, and they deducted something from
my electric bill in summer months, even if they never did it.

The guy comes to the door, gives me a small brochure and tells me what
he will do.

I follow him to the AC a couple minutes later and he's drilled into my
brick house to mount the thing. When I read the brochure, it says
they'll mount it to the AC if I want, but there was no time to read
the brochure and get out there before he drilled the holes.

Fortunately he had sense to drill into the mortar, but I'll never be
able to match the mortar! Also it means I can change the compressor,
or have it changed with a little less work.

I was over this before you posted and now I'm ticked off again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:58:55 -0700, "Tony944"
wrote:

Yes they can always use chewing gum !!!!

You're right. There's no compaison to my box versus his fence.

Today I looked off the balcony of the room I'm renting, and the cable
from he tlephone pole to the ground was hanging lose from a t tree
limb.

There was another cable to this building and I guess it's enough to
keep the pole from falling down, since it hasn't yet, but it is
bending in the direction of the cables to the other two houses.

"MBowland" wrote in message ...

replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2017 2:44 PM, MBowland wrote:
replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The holes in your brick never bothered me. Can't even see them from here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 8:13:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2017 2:44 PM, MBowland wrote:
replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The holes in your brick never bothered me. Can't even see them from here.

****. My mil is higher next lot up and i can see my ****. 20k coming up soon. Summer or next for seeing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The electric company wanted to put something on my AC to turn it off
during a brownout. I asked for this, and they deducted something from
my electric bill in summer months, even if they never did it.

SNIP

A few years back, I let my electric company install one of those A/C cut
out switches too. In exchange, they gave a modest monthly bill credit.
But by early summer, I told them to take it off.

They were vicious knocking my A/C offline for 30-45 minutes at a clip
even though the brochure said never more than for 8-10 minutes and then
only once each hour.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to aemeijers, MBowland wrote:
I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The electric company wanted to put something on my AC to turn it off
during a brownout. I asked for this, and they deducted something from
my electric bill in summer months, even if they never did it.

SNIP

A few years back, I let my electric company install one of those A/C cut
out switches too. In exchange, they gave a modest monthly bill credit.
But by early summer, I told them to take it off.

They were vicious knocking my A/C offline for 30-45 minutes at a clip
even though the brochure said never more than for 8-10 minutes and then
only once each hour.

That's pretty bad. BGE had about the same rules and I don't think
they violated them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:13:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I am sick that I let someone drill bolts in my brick house when he replaced
our gate

The holes in your brick never bothered me. Can't even see them from here.

Drilling bolts must require a special tool, huh?