Posted to alt.home.repair
tom g

Default Fence post question

I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or fastener? Wood
putty?
Posted to alt.home.repair

big screws, then paint or seal somehow

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

tom g wrote:
I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or fastener? Wood
putty?

I have seen large U shaped nails that appear to be used for that exact
purpose. I don't know where you might find them, I have seen them on post.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Joseph Meehan wrote:
I have seen large U shaped nails that appear to be used for that exact
purpose. I don't know where you might find them, I have seen them on post.

Andy writes:
They are called "fence staples" and are used to fasten wire, such as
barbed wire, into wooden posts..... They might work if the split is
narrow.
However, the best fix is to get some galvanized wire, such as is used
for
electric fences, and wrap about 10 turns around the top of the post, in
effect binding the split together.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

That is why you see the little pyramid shaped caps just make for a
4x4. They are about as thick as a beer can and are usually gold
anodized finish. They also make much fancier ones up to and
including lighted ones if your pocket book can stand it.

Another approach is to cut a slop on the top of posts. Both
methods are attempts to get the moisture off the top of the posts.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...12522,00.html?

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"tom g" wrote in message
I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at
the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is
in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent
the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or
fastener? Wood
putty?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie

"tom g" wrote in message
I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or fastener? Wood
putty?

Anway you can put water-proof glue in the split and get it clamped back
shut?
Then put a cap or slope the top of the post....

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

tom g wrote:
I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or fastener? Wood
putty?

3/4" wide by 5" long? That's a large split.

Get a very large C-clamp (or a bench vice that will open 6 inches) and
some polyurethane glue ("Gorilla" glue). Dampen the inside of the
split with a spray bottle. Use a small brush or a popsicle stick or a
bamboo skewer to "paint" both sides of the inside of the split with the
glue as best as possible. Put a scrap piece of flat hardwood or steel
on either side of the post to distribute the load and draw the split
closed using the C clamp. The poly glue expands as it cures, and will
fill in all the gaps. Leave the clamp on until it cures. When it's
done curing, if your installation allows it, wrap the top with a dozen
turns of fencing wire for belt-and-suspenders. Then install a post
cap to keep the rainwater out.

A different approach would be to get a 5" carriage bolt and some large
thick washers. Drill a hole perpendicular to the split, apply the poly
glue, and use the carriage bolt to draw the split closed; the washers
distribute the load and keep the bolt from digging too deeply into the
wood. Leave the carriage bolt installed for extra strength if you don't
mind the appearance. Put a cap on the post to keep out rainwater, or
soak heavily with deck waterproofer.

Hint: for the first half hour after clamping the split closed,
continually wipe off excess glue as it expands and oozes out. If you
wait till it has fully cured, you'll have quite a chore chipping it
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Ether Jones wrote:
tom g wrote:
I have a couple of fence posts (CCA 4x4) that have split open at the
top. Split is about 3/4" wide and 5" long. The fence itself is in good
shape. How can I keep these posts "together" or at least prevent the
gap from getting worse? Some kind of special bracing or fastener? Wood
putty?

3/4" wide by 5" long? That's a large split.

In my earlier post, I was visualizing the 3/4" "width" to be how far
the wood had split apart.

But perhaps you meant the 3/4" was how deep the split penetrates from
the surface into the wood. If such is the case, and if the wood isn't
split apart too far (say less than an eighth of an inch), then I
wouldn't bother trying to draw it back together. I'd just soak the
top of the post heavily with deck waterproofer (letting it soak down
into the split), and then put a rainwater cap on it. It there's room,
and you aren't put off by the appearance, wrap the top of the post
several times with fencing wire to prevent the split from widening, or
use a large automotive radiator clamp and draw it tight (put the screw
part of the clamp on the side with the split). Paint the clamp (or
wire) to help it blend in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom g

On 17 Jun 2006 21:45:47 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Ether Jones wrote:
tom g wrote:
[...]

Yes, 3/4" is the actual width of the gap - the wood has split clear
across. I think I'll try your previous advice with the gorilla glue.
Thanks a bunch for writing it up!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:58:20 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

That is why you see the little pyramid shaped caps just make for a
4x4. They are about as thick as a beer can and are usually gold

Have you ever seen them for round posts?

My posts are about 4" in diameter. The only real problem is the plant
life living in the holes in the ones that don't get a lot of sunlight,
but sometimes that seems like a big problem.

anodized finish. They also make much fancier ones up to and
including lighted ones if your pocket book can stand it.

Another approach is to cut a slop on the top of posts. Both
methods are attempts to get the moisture off the top of the posts.

For square posts, I've seen it suggested that the tops be cut at an
angle. I don't know if I would like that, and I'm not sure if I've
ever seen it, but that's what it said.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"mm" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:58:20 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

That is why you see the little pyramid shaped caps just make for a
4x4. They are about as thick as a beer can and are usually gold

Have you ever seen them for round posts?

Well, Down Home (southern Indiana), out along the country two-laners, I
often still see corner posts on fields as large as 12-18" tree trunk
sections or recycled telephone poles. They cap those with galvanized sheet
metal, or whatever is laying around the barn, hammered over and nailed into
the sides. Even seen old license plates, Coke signs, etc, used for that.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:55:35 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 13:58:20 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

That is why you see the little pyramid shaped caps just make for a
4x4. They are about as thick as a beer can and are usually gold

Have you ever seen them for round posts?

Well, Down Home (southern Indiana), out along the country two-laners, I

When I lived in Indiana, I didn't spend enough time in Southern
Indiana. Mostly because I didn't have a licens most of the time, and
not a car, most of the time I had a license.

often still see corner posts on fields as large as 12-18" tree trunk
sections or recycled telephone poles. They cap those with galvanized sheet
metal, or whatever is laying around the barn, hammered over and nailed into
the sides. Even seen old license plates, Coke signs, etc, used for that.

I wouldn't mind making one, but I'm never going to make 6 (that
already have holes in the top) or 12 (counting the ones that don't get
sun now that the surrounding trees are taller) or about 30 (if I did
all of them). Too many other things to do, when they would only cost
a couple dollars each if I could only find them.

It's been 27 years and they're in pretty good condition, at least
above ground. If they can look good for 39 more years, I'll be 98
years old and dead or near dead. But I would still buy a set of 30 if
I could find them.

aem sends...

question on table saw fence Chris Friesen Woodworking 3 April 7th 06 10:05 PM
more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
Strengthening a fence post [email protected] UK diy 6 August 24th 05 10:59 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM