Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fence post question - attach to house or not?

wrote:
Zootal wrote:
I'm running a wood panel fence up to the corner of my house.
Question: is there any reason not to attach a fence post to the house
itself? I've seen people around here do it both ways - sink a post
next to the house, and just bolt the post to the house itself.

Wood touching wood would be inviting termites (kind of poetic, 'eh?). If
the house is brick, not a factor.

Not a factor for termites, but if you live in frost country, still a bad
idea. That fence can move around, more than the house. If the last panel
with the faux post screwed to the house lifts up on the outside end,
lever action will loosen the screws, and with a typical brick veneer
wall, can easily pop the brick loose. (of course they drilled into the
mortar joint to place the anchors- those bricks are hard...) You scoff-
I have seen it.

Like somebody else said- hold the post back six inches or a foot, and
hang a little stub or trim panel over the opening.

--
aem sends...