Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan placement

My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. Two walls have windows,
one has two doors, and the last one door. The placement of doors and
baseboard heat limits the placement of the bed to one likely place
with another possible but really much worse. Something like:

+---------------------------| window |----------+
| 1 |
-- |
door |

-- |
| |
--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
| +---------------+ |
+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
| +---------------+ |
+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

When in doubt, center it in the room. Your situation is not atypical. No
matter where you put it, it creates some type of imbalance. The fan will
work fine and look most visually correct in the center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:41:59 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. Two walls have...
Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

What is the purpose of the fan? Distributing heat,
distributing cool air, decorative ???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. *Two walls have...
Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? *Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

* * * * What is the purpose of the fan? *Distributing heat,
distributing cool air, decorative ??? *

Move air in the spring and early summer to reduce the use of A/C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
+---------------+ |

+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

Put the ceiling fan where it will do the most good for you.

If you ever sell the house, or the esthetics bother someone, hang ANOTHER
ceiling fan to balance the look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 13 Jun 2009 11:55:31a, RBM told us...

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. Two walls have windows,
one has two doors, and the last one door. The placement of doors and
baseboard heat limits the placement of the bed to one likely place
with another possible but really much worse. Something like:

+---------------------------| window |----------+
| 1 |
-- | door

| --

| | -- --
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | | door
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | +---------------+ |
[...]

That would have been my answer, as well. A ceiling fan is designed to
create air turbulence throughout the space, not in a localized area.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Kissing don't last; cookery do! ~George Meredith

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
| +---------------+ |
+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

*Center of the room is first choice, but I have had a number of customers
request that it be centered over the bed because they want to feel the
breeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. *Two walls have...
Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? *Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

* * * * What is the purpose of the fan? *Distributing heat,
distributing cool air, decorative ??? *

Move air in the spring and early summer to reduce the use of A/C.

So you want to place it to reduce cooling loads. Since I
don't know your situation, I would have to guess, so my guess is
centered over the bed, so it will have the most effect on the bed
area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 11:32*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message

*Center of the room is first choice, but I have had a number of customers
request that it be centered over the bed because they want to feel the
breeze.- Hide quoted text -

Hey; that suggests a design idea!
A ceiling fan with variable pitch blades?
During each rotation the blades would alter pitch; steering the air
(to some extent?) in a different directions!
Expensive? Probably yes.
More complicated and therefore the antithesis of simplicity for us 'do
it your self' repairers.
Anyway; here, it's more a case of putting another blanket on the bed
rather than needing a bedroom ceiling fan.
Some people here with heat pumps have never ver bothered to learn how
to switch them over to Air Conditioning.
Alongside the cool North Atlantic it doesn't get hot enough. Anytime
it does, very occasionally touch say 80 degrees F, and it's somwhat
humid we are complaining about a 'heat wave' and the local media are
talking about whether it's the hottest on record since 1953 etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
| +---------------+ |
+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

Only in very large rooms, or rooms that are not square or rectangular.
Otherwise, centered usually always works, although if it has lights on it,
it might not shine just where you want the light. I think for flow,
centered is optimal, but off center would still adequately move air.
Another consideration is wiring. You might want to just put it where you
won't have to make a new run of wire.

Steve

grounding rod placement franz frippl Home Repair 4 August 2nd 07 02:13 PM
PIR placement M.Joshi Electronics Repair 1 October 29th 06 10:08 PM
Bathtub placement ? stasya Home Ownership 3 June 15th 06 03:52 PM
VFD Placement Wayne Metalworking 7 March 22nd 05 11:47 PM
air cleaner placement Kevin Woodturning 5 March 19th 05 06:52 PM