Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
stasya

Default Bathtub placement ?

In our house we are almost to the plumbing stage. My question is this:
The bathroom is long and narrow: 6 foot by 11 foot. The door is on one
of the long sides close to the end, and there's a window diagonally
across the rectangle on the other long side. There's really only one
place to put the bathtub, and that's at the end closest to the window.
So the bathtub will likely be right at the back. The only problem is
that the ceiling slopes over that part of the bathroom. At about 4 feet
from the floor, the ceiling slopes in, and if I put the tub far enough
from the back so that it's not affected by the ceiling (it's a
clawfoot), then it would be interfered with by the window. I'm putting
a showerhead in.

Any (serious) thoughts about this?

Non-negotiable: The placement of the window and door, and at this
point, the size and shape of the room.
Negotiable: The placement of the fixtures. (The joists run across the
short way)

Stasya

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"stasya" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Put in a stall shower, and put the clawfoot tub on a tile island in the
living room. (Yes, I'm serious- my sister and her ex did that in their
house, using a clawfoot I gave them as a freaking gag gift. It was a big hit
with everyone that saw it. Of course, it was just the two of them, so
privacy wasn't an issue.)

This isn't a flame, but you are several months too late in the design
process picking your fixture layout. You build the room around the fixture
layout you want/need. Whatever you do at this point is a compromise. You
don't want the shower spraying on the window, nor do you want the tub to
have less than about 6' 6" of headroom, for head banging and keeping hand
prints off the wall and ceiling. When people start slipping, as they will in
a clawfoot, they will grab for whatever they can reach. I'd put the tub on
the wall next to the door, and surround it with one of those ring shower
rods and multiple curtains, and tile the wall behind. You want solid
grab/towel bars on the wall behind the tub- those things can be hard to get
in and out of. The toilet can go in the low-headroom end, and the sink
directly opposite the door, or maybe on the end wall. A pedestal would work
best. Figure on lots of little wall-mounted boxes and cubbies for storage.
Maybe a small cabinet in the corner between the tub and toilet, which would
give a place to hide some of the tub plumbing.

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house
stasya

ameijers wrote:
This isn't a flame, but you are several months too late in the design
process picking your fixture layout. You build the room around the fixture
layout you want/need. Whatever you do at this point is a compromise. You
don't want the shower spraying on the window, nor do you want the tub to
have less than about 6' 6" of headroom, for head banging and keeping hand
prints off the wall and ceiling. When people start slipping, as they will in
a clawfoot, they will grab for whatever they can reach.

Actually, the house layout came as it is, with the plumbing roughed in,
with no fixtures in place. Basically I'm working with a gutted house
with some windows, doors and walls. At this point, this is my most
serious problem, yet am still at the stage where I can work with it (or
around it as the case may be). The stupid thing was that I didn't
really WANT the clawfoot, but as it's a victorian house, and we're
trying to keep in that vein without actually restoring it as such, I
figured since it came with it, I may as well use it. I did get pedestal
sinks and matching toilets, but the whole bathroom decor (ie tiling,
flooring, etc) is a new experience for me. I actually prefer those cool
showers you see in the home decorating mags where they just tile the
whole shower area and put in glass walls instead of a shower curtain.

Thank you for your comments,

Stasya

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I have an old Victorian and the bathroom layout is almost exactly as
you describe except, luckily, the window is on one of the short walls
(I have to cope with two doors, though). Any chance you could replace
window with something like glass brick and put tub in one end, small
walk-in shower in the other (window) end?

Jo Ann