Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Bathtub placement ?

I have an old Victorian and the bathroom layout is almost exactly as
you describe except, luckily, the window is on one of the short walls
(I have to cope with two doors, though). Any chance you could replace
window with something like glass brick and put tub in one end, small
walk-in shower in the other (window) end?

Jo Ann

stasya wrote:
ameijers wrote:
This isn't a flame, but you are several months too late in the design
process picking your fixture layout. You build the room around the fixture
layout you want/need. Whatever you do at this point is a compromise. You
don't want the shower spraying on the window, nor do you want the tub to
have less than about 6' 6" of headroom, for head banging and keeping hand
prints off the wall and ceiling. When people start slipping, as they will in
a clawfoot, they will grab for whatever they can reach.

Actually, the house layout came as it is, with the plumbing roughed in,
with no fixtures in place. Basically I'm working with a gutted house
with some windows, doors and walls. At this point, this is my most
serious problem, yet am still at the stage where I can work with it (or
around it as the case may be). The stupid thing was that I didn't
really WANT the clawfoot, but as it's a victorian house, and we're
trying to keep in that vein without actually restoring it as such, I
figured since it came with it, I may as well use it. I did get pedestal
sinks and matching toilets, but the whole bathroom decor (ie tiling,
flooring, etc) is a new experience for me. I actually prefer those cool
showers you see in the home decorating mags where they just tile the
whole shower area and put in glass walls instead of a shower curtain.

Thank you for your comments,

Stasya