Kevin

Default air cleaner placement

Recently I finished cobbling together an air cleaner. Basically a wooden
fram built around a squirrel cage with an electric motor - straight out of a
house furnace. Now I haven't much room in my shop (11X15) so I have it
about 12" off the floor. I am thinking that attaching it to the ceiling
would be somewhat better placement. Any comments?

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Recently I finished cobbling together an air cleaner. Basically a wooden
fram built around a squirrel cage with an electric motor - straight out of a
house furnace. Now I haven't much room in my shop (11X15) so I have it
about 12" off the floor. I am thinking that attaching it to the ceiling
would be somewhat better placement. Any comments?

Higher and close to the source of dust is better than low and further
away from the source.

I have a new commercial unit - the instructions recommend an optimum
height is 8-10 feet. Also keep obstructions to a minimum on both the
inlet side as well as the outlet side.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
dick lieber

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Recently I finished cobbling together an air cleaner. Basically a wooden
fram built around a squirrel cage with an electric motor - straight out of a
house furnace. Now I haven't much room in my shop (11X15) so I have it
about 12" off the floor. I am thinking that attaching it to the ceiling
would be somewhat better placement. Any comments?

Higher and close to the source of dust is better than low and further
away from the source.

I have a new commercial unit - the instructions recommend an optimum
height is 8-10 feet. Also keep obstructions to a minimum on both the
inlet side as well as the outlet side.

I understand "close to the dust" but why higher?

Utimately the dust seems to settle down, not up; seems like lower would
catch more of it.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
dick lieber wrote:

I understand "close to the dust" but why higher?

Utimately the dust seems to settle down, not up; seems like lower would
catch more of it.

The primary purpose of these air filtration units is to catch the
floating dust that is so easily inhaled to the deep portions of the
lungs. The heavy stuff that falls fairly rapidly isn't a breathing
hazard like the very small single-digit micron-size particles. This very
fine dust can remain suspended in the air for quite some time - and
that's the material you want to filter out with your air cleaner.

Higher is better because the circulation of air at the 8'-ish level is
less obstructed and more thoroughly cycled through the filters. I would
think a second reason is that this is the level of room air that we
spend so much time breathing.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Kevin

Thanks much for the responses. My shop is in the basement and the ceiling
is somewhat less than 8'. I'll probably jiggle stuff around and find an
upper corner.

Thanks again,

-Kevin

"Kevin" wrote in message
Recently I finished cobbling together an air cleaner. Basically a wooden
fram built around a squirrel cage with an electric motor - straight out of

house furnace. Now I haven't much room in my shop (11X15) so I have it
about 12" off the floor. I am thinking that attaching it to the ceiling
would be somewhat better placement. Any comments?

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Thanks much for the responses. My shop is in the basement and the ceiling
is somewhat less than 8'. I'll probably jiggle stuff around and find an
upper corner.

I recently moved my lathe to my basement and had a problem with ceiling
height. Ours are about 7.5' and where to mount the 12" high air cleaner
to the ceiling was a puzzler for a while. I certainly didn't want it in
any foot pathway even though I'm 1/2 a foot shorter than where the
bottom of the unit would be. (I think it would kinda feel claustrophobic
too.) Over the lathe would feel restrictive, but I realized that I
didn't need the space above the grinder to be full height so put it
there. (I think this is also a good location as the grinder can put off
some pretty nasty dust.)

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

Adding an electronic air cleaner to my return air duct Daniel Prince Home Repair 0 December 17th 04 08:21 PM
charlie b around? (air cleaner / downdraft table / outfeed table) Keith Carlson Woodworking 0 October 23rd 04 11:34 PM
Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM
Hayward Navigator pool cleaner gets stuck at steps Pond Scum Home Repair 2 July 31st 03 05:10 PM