Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Ceiling fan placement

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
My master bedroom is approximately 16' x15'. Two walls have windows,
one has two doors, and the last one door. The placement of doors and
baseboard heat limits the placement of the bed to one likely place
with another possible but really much worse. Something like:

+---------------------------| window |----------+
| 1 |
-- |
door |

-- |
| |
--
| +---------------+ window 2
| | | --
-- | Bed | |
door | | |
| | |
-- | | |
| +---------------+ |
+--| door |-----------------------------------------+

I'm getting ready to put up a ceiling fan with a light. I have full
attic access so there is no logistic reason to favor any particular
location. Placing the fan in the center of the room is the first,
obvious choice but it's over the corner of the bed closest to the
center of the room. If I center the fan on the wall where the head of
the bed is, the fan is over the other side of the foot of the bed. If
I center the fan on both windows, it's roughly centered on the foot of
the bed.

I hate centering the fan on furniture that might move so I'm trying to
work off doors, walls, and windows. Any strong arguments for any of
these choices? Did you put yours over the bed and wish it was
centered in the room or vice versa?

Only in very large rooms, or rooms that are not square or rectangular.
Otherwise, centered usually always works, although if it has lights on it,
it might not shine just where you want the light. I think for flow,
centered is optimal, but off center would still adequately move air.
Another consideration is wiring. You might want to just put it where you
won't have to make a new run of wire.

Steve