Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is used as a connector to a boat gas tank?

Sort of off topic.....

I got one of those 5 gallon gas tanks that are portable and are used
for boating. I'm not going to use it for boating, it's for testing
engines, so I dont have to connect a car gas tank, which is not real
safe. These tanks are made for portability as well as safety. I've
noticed they use them in demolition derby cars too.

My question is that when I bought this used tank, it only has a filler
cap, and a hole where a person connects the gas line. But that hole
has ridges around it, so there has to be some sort of connector that
goes into it, to connect the fuel line. That piece is missing. My
guess is that some boating place would have them, but there are no
boat dealers nearby, so I'll have to mail order it. But what do I
look for? What are they called? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 04:16:18 -0500, Jimw wrote:

[...]

I'd save yourself some grief and purchase a new plastic tank, it will
come complete with everything. All the new portable tanks are plastic
now as a safty measure.

Go to westmarine online, they have a nice selection of portable tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimw wrote in
:

[...]

Boat tanks usually don't come with the fuel connectors because the
connectors for Mercury or Evinrude motors are different. I would guess
that the person you got the tank from kept the connector so he could use
it again on another tank.

You can use any elbow with the correct size and thread type. Screw the
adaptor you need into the elbow. Note that there is supposed to be a
small tube inside the tank on the underside of the small hole that sucks
gas up from the bottom of the tank. Make sure that the tube is still
there or you won't get any gas at all from the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reno" wrote in message
Jimw wrote in
:

[...]

And don't forget to open the vent on the cap! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean that a tank that melts, runs, and burns is safer
than a tank that can take some heat? News to me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I'd save yourself some grief and purchase a new plastic
tank, it will
come complete with everything. All the new portable tanks
are plastic
now as a safty measure.

Go to westmarine online, they have a nice selection of
portable tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:54:33 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 06:35:28 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

Plastic tanks are not a :safety measure", they are an economy measure.
And West Marine is about the most expensive chandelery on earth.

Yes they are, they can withstand the required drop testing that metal
cans cannot. West Marine may be expensive, but google and find many
more places to purchase a plastic boat gas can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cite please. This sounds like baloney from a marketing department.

Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank Scott Townsend Home Repair 13 September 28th 15 05:17 AM
hot water coming into loft tank from immersion tank Patb UK diy 13 August 20th 07 05:48 PM
Tank connector tool PM UK diy 15 January 30th 06 08:24 AM
Sealing an oil tank connector Colin Blackburn UK diy 1 October 21st 04 03:47 PM
Tank connector AndyP UK diy 4 October 13th 04 11:33 AM