Posted to alt.home.repair
Reno Reno is offline

Default What is used as a connector to a boat gas tank?

Jimw wrote in
:

Sort of off topic.....

I got one of those 5 gallon gas tanks that are portable and are used
for boating. I'm not going to use it for boating, it's for testing
engines, so I dont have to connect a car gas tank, which is not real
safe. These tanks are made for portability as well as safety. I've
noticed they use them in demolition derby cars too.

My question is that when I bought this used tank, it only has a filler
cap, and a hole where a person connects the gas line. But that hole
has ridges around it, so there has to be some sort of connector that
goes into it, to connect the fuel line. That piece is missing. My
guess is that some boating place would have them, but there are no
boat dealers nearby, so I'll have to mail order it. But what do I
look for? What are they called? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

Boat tanks usually don't come with the fuel connectors because the
connectors for Mercury or Evinrude motors are different. I would guess
that the person you got the tank from kept the connector so he could use
it again on another tank.

You can use any elbow with the correct size and thread type. Screw the
adaptor you need into the elbow. Note that there is supposed to be a
small tube inside the tank on the underside of the small hole that sucks
gas up from the bottom of the tank. Make sure that the tube is still
there or you won't get any gas at all from the tank.