Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much oil for 2-stroke blower?

I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

TIA

Lewis

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , " wrote:
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me )

That *does* seem like a lot -- that's a 16:1 dilution, which is pretty
unusual. Is that instruction on the body of the machine, or on the gas cap? If
it's on the gas cap, unless you bought the machine new, you should consider
the possibility that it has the wrong cap.

so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Does the manual give a dilution ratio, something like 16:1, 24:1, 32:1, etc. ?

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

Not enough information yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:56*pm, " wrote:
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

TIA

Lewis

*****

Was it made and labeled in china, 32-1 is all you could ever need but
it may be designed and only run well for maybe 50-1, contact the
Company. I bet it wont start with 16-1 or it will be a plug clogger-
bug fogger instead. With tighter Epa rules 32-1 is not common anymore,
my Lawnboy is 32-1 [ made in 83] my Sthil and Echo 50-1. maybe you
missread it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most two cycle engines aren't fussy. If you are using a good
name brand of oil, 4 ounces to a galon of good brand
gasoline runs in everything. Lawn Boy has the own brand of
oil, but that might be just marketing.

More oil will not hurt, except to foul the spark plug
sooner. Less oil risks lubrication failure, and siezing up
the crankshaft to the piston rod. Or other sieze ups. Piston
to wall, that kind of thing.

Some brands sell 3.2 ounce bottles of oil to mix with a
galon of gas, but I don't trust that lean a mix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1
galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I
downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

TIA

Lewis

*****

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
" wrote:
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me )

That *does* seem like a lot -- that's a 16:1 dilution, which is pretty
unusual.

It is unusual today. but in the garage I have a bottle of Hometlite oil that
specifically says to add to one gallon for 16:1 mix. I don't know what the
oil was for, but I think it was a scooter my kid had years ago with a very
small engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

" wrote:
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me )

That *does* seem like a lot -- that's a 16:1 dilution, which is
pretty unusual.

It is unusual today. but in the garage I have a bottle of Hometlite
oil that specifically says to add to one gallon for 16:1 mix. I
don't know what the oil was for, but I think it was a scooter my kid
had years ago with a very small engine.

....and I have a Homelite string trimmer manual that specifically says 50:1
and specifically converts it as a 2.6oz bottle to a gal of gas. Guy at a
small engine shop says 32:1.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 7:13*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , " wrote:

I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me )

That *does* seem like a lot -- that's a 16:1 dilution, which is pretty
unusual. Is that instruction on the body of the machine, or on the gas cap? If
it's on the gas cap, unless you bought the machine new, you should consider
the possibility that it has the wrong cap.

so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Does the manual give a dilution ratio, something like 16:1, 24:1, 32:1, etc. ?

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

Not enough information yet.

Thanks, the instruction is on the body of the machine.

I looked in the .pdf manual again ( http://www.odref.com/poulan/pdf/WEED...WERS/gb122.pdf
) but still saw no reference to fuel/oil ratio.

Lewis

*****
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1
galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I
downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

Unfortunately the manual did not contain that information.

Can you tell me, please if that ' 8oz ' figure is correct?

TIA

Lewis

*****

I've also seen discussions were people have said the whole issue is
driven more by the oils used rather than the engines. The case was
made that years ago, the 2 strole oils were conventional, while today
the oils used are either synthetic or greatly improved, so that the
engine runs just as well with less oil. It's also obviously an issue
of trying to reduce emissions.

I doubt the engine under discussion is new, as I haven't seen anything
using that much oil in a long time. If it were old and mine, I'd
just go with something like 32:1, using current oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ru4linux2 wrote:

Thanks, the instruction is on the body of the machine.

Then I'd assume it's correct.

I looked in the .pdf manual again ( www.odref.com/poulan/pdf/WEEDEATER/GASB=
LOWERS/gb122.pdf
) but still saw no reference to fuel/oil ratio.

No surprise there -- that's just a parts list, not an owner's manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

It all depends on the oil you use. I have an old Craftsman weedwacker and leaf blower that both call
for a 16:1 mix. Back when I bought these tools there wasn't any synthetic oils around for 2 strokes.
For the last 20 years though I've been using these tools at 40:1 with a synthetic oil with no ill
affect. They both run great and have plenty of power and the nice thing about the 40:1 synthetic is
that it doesn't smoke like an old Ford. Just go buy a 40:1 synthetic blend oil and be done with
it... It's not rocket science !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 5:37*pm, Hipupchuck wrote:
Brian wrote:
wrote in message
I have a 'Weed Eater', GBI 30V blower.

The instruction on the machine says to use 8oz of oil to 1 galllon of
gas. ( which sounds like a LOT of oil to me ) so I downloaded a .pdf
Users Manual, in order to double check that.

It all depends on the oil you use. I have an old Craftsman weedwacker and leaf blower that both call
for a 16:1 mix. Back when I bought these tools there wasn't any synthetic oils around for 2 strokes.
For the last 20 years though I've been using these tools at 40:1 with a synthetic oil with no ill
affect. *They both run great and have plenty of power and the nice thing about the 40:1 synthetic is
that it doesn't smoke like an old Ford. *Just go buy a 40:1 synthetic blend oil and be done with
it... *It's not rocket science !!!

More things should have automatic oilers. I mean come on now, this
technology has been around for ages now. I had snowmobiles and chain
saws with automatic oilers (separate oil tanks for the engine (not the
chain)).

Years ago (50+) they used "white gas" and regular engine oil for
outboard motors! So yes, oils have come along way!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:

I had snowmobiles and chain
saws with automatic oilers (separate oil tanks for the engine (not the
chain)).

Wow - does that bring back fond memories. My first new "street" motorcycle was a
Yamaha RD-80. It's big claim to fame was the separate oil tank for its two cycle
engine that covered multiple tanks of gas. Very convenient as I could use
regular gas stations for fillups.