Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wiring problem/question

I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). I did
this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. These
were stranded wires. The black one connected to a solid black wire.
The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted
together. After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some
things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and
the wall sockets on the room next to it. I can live without the light
in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. It seems to me that
what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. Does this
make any sense? And is there anything I can do to get the wall
sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Jud McCranie wrote:
I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). I did
this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. These
were stranded wires. The black one connected to a solid black wire.
The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted
together. After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some
things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and
the wall sockets on the room next to it. I can live without the light
in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. It seems to me that
what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. Does this
make any sense? And is there anything I can do to get the wall
sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).

Ensure that the two solid wires are securely connected together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). I did
this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. These
were stranded wires. The black one connected to a solid black wire.
The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted
together. After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some
things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and
the wall sockets on the room next to it. I can live without the light
in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. It seems to me that
what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. Does this
make any sense? And is there anything I can do to get the wall
sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).

did you reconnect the two solid neutrals back together?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:32:32 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

did you reconnect the two solid neutrals back together?

I didn't disconnect the two white solids that were twisted together
(if I remember correctly).
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 6:43*pm, Jud McCranie
wrote:
I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). *I did
this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. *These
were stranded wires. *The black one connected to a solid black wire.
The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted
together. *After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some
things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and
the wall sockets on the room next to it. *I can live without the light
in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. *It seems to me that
what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. *Does this
make any sense? *And is there anything I can do to get the wall
sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).
--
Replace you know what by j to email

reconnect everything back tiogether the way it was originally and see
if the outlets work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:10:48 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

I did that, an no they don't. I suspected a ground-fault switch, but
every one I could find was OK.

BTW, some of the things on that main circuit breaker work and some
don't.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

reconnect everything back tiogether the way it was originally and see
if the outlets work.

I did that, an no they don't. I suspected a ground-fault switch, ...

Whoops, I found a different main breaker that was off that controlled
what wasn't working.

So now I'm not sure which of the two breakers controls the fans
(perhaps one for each).

I have an AC/DC meter, but I don't know how to test for AC with it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2009 23:45:13 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

So now I'm not sure which of the two breakers controls the fans
(perhaps one for each).

I switched off both breakers and I'm not messing with it again until I
can get a clamp meter to see what is going on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
reconnect everything back tiogether the way it was originally and see
if the outlets work.

I did that, an no they don't. *I suspected a ground-fault switch, ...

Whoops, I found a different main breaker that was off that controlled
what wasn't working.

So now I'm not sure which of the two breakers controls the fans
(perhaps one for each). *

I have an AC/DC meter, but I don't know how to test for AC with it. *
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage
with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house
wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
reconnect everything back tiogether the way it was originally and see
if the outlets work.
I did that, an no they don't. I suspected a ground-fault switch, ...

Whoops, I found a different main breaker that was off that controlled
what wasn't working.

So now I'm not sure which of the two breakers controls the fans
(perhaps one for each).

I have an AC/DC meter, but I don't know how to test for AC with it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage
with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house
wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.

Gee, electrocution seems like a pretty stiff penalty for doing
un-certifed work on your home wiring.

oh ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 08:56:11 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage
with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house
wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.

Yea, I generally don't mess with A/C wiring, but I'm disconnecting the
fans until I can get an electrician.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage
with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house
wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.

Yea, I generally don't mess with A/C wiring, but I'm disconnecting the
fans until I can get an electrician.

Why are you doing this?

A disconnected wire must be properly secured - it could still be hot
under some circumstances!

p.s. "AC" means alternating current
"A/C" means air conditioning (in some circles)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Not for nothing, but if you don't know how to measure an AC voltage
with a meter, you probably shouldn't be messing with your house
wiring. Fire and electrocution can be pretty ugly.

Yea, I generally don't mess with A/C wiring, but I'm disconnecting the
fans until I can get an electrician.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Just kill the main breaker to the house that shuts off the whole
house.. Cut the wires going to the fans near the fans and put wire
nuts on them. Turn rthe breaker back on and wait for the electrician.
You ever see Dick Williams?, I wondered if he was still involved in
tournament chess. I hear Clyde Wayne is a lawyer.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:33:41 -0400, RickMerrill
wrote:

Why are you doing this?

The attic fans quit working and I was advised on another thread to
disconnect them.

A disconnected wire must be properly secured - it could still be hot
under some circumstances!

I did that.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:40:56 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

You ever see Dick Williams?,

Not since 1985. I see George frequently since his kids play in the
tournaments down here.

I wondered if he was still involved in tournament chess.

Not as far as I know, I doubt it. Their mother had a bad car accident
about a month or so ago. I see John at the tournaments too.

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:43:00 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

I disconnected my two attic fans (see "dead attic fan" thread). I did
this by identifying the black and white wires from the fan. These
were stranded wires. The black one connected to a solid black wire.
The white one connected to two solid white wires that were twisted
together. After disconnection (and turning the breaker back on) some
things on one end of the house don't work - a light in the attic and
the wall sockets on the room next to it. I can live without the light
in the attic but I need the wall sockets to work. It seems to me that
what I did would not do anything but disconnect the fans. Does this
make any sense? And is there anything I can do to get the wall
sockets back (until I get an electrician for the fans).

Sounds like you disconnected the wrong white wire or do not have a
tight connection. After setting a wire nut, tug on each wire. Always
turn off the circuit before taking off an electrical wall plate.