Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tool for removing wiring staples?

I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

I use a large pair of diagonal cutters.
For this to work, you need space
on the sides. Grab the stable just
above the wood, not so hard as to
cut it, just a dent to hold onto it.
And then, tilt the
handle of the cutters towards the wood.
This will lift the side of the
staple. If you're lucky, the other side
will come up at the same time.
BTW, you can put a small shim under the
cutter head, just next to the
staple, to give a bit of leverage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

I use a large pair of diagonal cutters. For this to work, you need space
on the sides. Grab the stable just above the wood, not so hard as to
cut it, just a dent to hold onto it. And then, tilt the
handle of the cutters towards the wood. This will lift the side of the
staple. If you're lucky, the other side will come up at the same time.
BTW, you can put a small shim under the cutter head, just next to the
staple, to give a bit of leverage.

I do the same, but use an offset diagonal pliers, it sorta has the shim
built in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration.

I use a large pair of diagonal cutters. For this to work, you need space

I do the same, but use an offset diagonal pliers, it sorta has the shim
built in.

Nice idea .... I want one!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a pair of fence pliers. They have a hook for removing staples
and a nice leverage scheme. Very handy tool. Any good hardware store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 12:37*pm, Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

I use nippers or my Knipex Cobra adjustable pliers with the serrated
teeth. Grab one leg of the staple and lever it out. Then just pull
out the remaining leg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're a tool hound, yes there is. End cutting nippers excel
at that type of work:
http://www.castlewholesalers.com/CRE...g-Nippers.html

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates
removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been
using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering
if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration.

I use a large pair of diagonal cutters. For this to work, you need space

I do the same, but use an offset diagonal pliers, it sorta has the shim
built in.

Nice idea .... I want one!

I'm pretty sure that this is the one. When I first bought it, I didn't
realize that it was angled, and I didn't like it. After using it for a
while, I wouldn't use any other:

http://www.ktool.net/servlet/the-214...-8-8%22/Detail

Posted to alt.home.repair

bluechel had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...es-376224-.htm
:
I have never seen a better tool than this brand new staple puller called
the
"Nail Hunter" www.thenailhunter.com Wild!
Hipupchuck wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates
removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been
using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple
out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm
wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

I use vice grips to grab the staple and a crow bar under the vice grips

to pull the staple. I know it's hard when the staple is in the sill
between the joists with a foundation ledge. I don't know how they
pounded them in there.

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 11:32*pm, (bluechel)
wrote:
*:
I have never seen a better tool than this brand new staple puller called
the "Nail Hunter" *www.thenailhunter.com*Wild!

"Seen" being the operative word. If you ever pulled a bunch of nails
you'd know that that tool has your wrist at an angle that is
guaranteed to cause you pain. The tool requires you to flex your
wrist in a way that puts it under a lot of stress and provides little
involvement of your extensors and flexors. It's a dumb tool.

Here's a "glowing" review of the tool - note the comments on carpal-
tunnel:
http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...ter_review.php

There's apparently one guy going around and blowing up about how great
this tool is - I'm guessing you're the same guy, so I'll address this
as if you're the designer.

You did good for a start, but you need to start to do two things to
refine the design and make it a tool that won't screw up your wrist.
Don't start with the typical plier design - it should have the head
rotated to an offset angle to minimize the stress on your wrist.
Unfortunately this will make it a tool that is tough for a left-hander
to use. You'll figure that part out.

It's insane to have the arms spread so wide that it requires you to
have such a wide grip - there's no reason for it. Small nails are ~.
0625" thick and fat nails ~.132", so there's only a limited grip range
you have to deal with. If someone needs to remove a spike, they won't
be using your tool regardless of the grip range. They'll use
something with longer leverage. It's easier to apply force when your
hand is clenched into something closer to a fist than with the hand
more open. Again, it's a trivial thing to fix.

Lastly, the site you are accessing Usenet from is a spammer. They
only provide the service so they can get their advertising on hundreds
of posts. You are being used. There are any number of ways to get on
Usenet and many of them are free.

When you use Amazon to sell a tool, there is only one review, and you
give the tool five stars, it comes as no surprise that you are the guy
selling the tool. See if you can get some more people to add stellar
reviews so people won't suspect that you're spamming.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

I use various tools, depending on the staple. Sometimes a screwdriver
can be slipped under the staple while using another screwdriver as a
fulcrum point (you don't want to force the screwdriver blade against
the wiring sheath which may tear it.) Anther tool that may help is a
vice grips or pliers. I have not seen a specific tool for this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/...-8_w001447.php

The tool is curved. You pinch the staple or nail, and use the curved
part as a lever to pull them right out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/...-8_w001447.php

The tool is curved. You pinch the staple or nail, and use the curved
part as a lever to pull them right out.

Yep! And this is one of those cases where 1 $17 tool is worth a dozen
of the knockoffs at $4-5. That Klein will last a lifetime. [longer
if you try to remember *not* to cut live wires with it]

Jim
[not a tool snob-- but sometimes it just *has* to be a Klein, Crescent
or Channellock]
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

On May 31, 11:32*pm, (bluechel)
wrote:
*:
I have never seen a better tool than this brand new staple puller called
the "Nail Hunter" *www.thenailhunter.com*Wild!

"Seen" being the operative word. If you ever pulled a bunch of nails
you'd know that that tool has your wrist at an angle that is
guaranteed to cause you pain. The tool requires you to flex your
wrist in a way that puts it under a lot of stress and provides little
involvement of your extensors and flexors. It's a dumb tool.

Here's a "glowing" review of the tool - note the comments on carpal-
tunnel:
http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200...ter_review.php

I'm the OP. Before reading the review, I ordered two of these, one of
each size, figuring I'd return the one I didn't want. They both
arrived yesterday and I found the larger NailJack worked better for
what I wanted to do, so I called the seller to see about returning the
smaller NailHunter. Lo and behold, he refunded the price and let me
keep *both* tools.

So, though some of your observations seem spot on, the guy's heart is
in the right place and he's trying to build a reputation. If you were
to send your comments to him directly, I'm sure he would appreciate
it.

Dick Evans

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:37*am, Richard Evans wrote:
I'm rerouting some wiring in my garage, which necessitates removing
the staples that hold it in its current configuration. I've been using
a flat pry bar with some success (defined as "Got the staple out
without gouging clean through to bare wire.") but I'm wondering if
there is a tool specifically made for this task.

Yes, the tool is called the Nail Hunter! www.thenailhunter.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:03*pm, RicodJour wrote:

*:

tunnel:http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/200..._hunter_review...

[...]

I must admit, you are a VERY knowledgeable tool guy! I have spent a
lot of time trying to solve this annoying problem, and years alone on
the patent work. Yes, I'm just one man, and I am no spammer, and no
engineer; just a man with a very average to low income and a great
desire to bring true inventiveness and pride back to one of our
favorite things: hand tools! No battery, no compressor, just a
mousetrap! I am not blowing smoke or trying to make friends with
you, but I must tell you that your analysis is excellent, correct and
speaks of a very high level of expertise! I have made six major
design changes for the next version coming out soon. But I sure would
like you to try these two tools and if you would be so kind, to share
even more of your insight with me. Yes, I will probably be crushed by
one of the giants soon enough, or have to watch as I see knock offs
with the tiniest little design changes flood the market, but I believe
I am on to something really great! I invite you along for the ride!
Simply put, you gave some darn good analysis, and it is by no means a
common event out here, trust me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:

On May 31, 11:32 pm, (bluechel)
wrote:
:
[...]

I'm interested just because it is a tool I don't have. I like those, as
there aren't many tools I don't have. In the meantime, I find a small pair
of tile nippers to work well. If the crown of the staple is protruding past
the wire, you can get ahold of both legs. Works particularly well on crown
staples, but the wideness of the jaws of a nipper catches both legs of even
the regular staples that are bent at ninety degree angles. The way the
nipper is curved lends itself to just pushing one way or the other to get a
nice rolling motion to pull it out, and the roundness of the jaws helps
eliminate messing the wire up. So, for me, tile nippers work good, but who
knows, I might get one of the NailHunters for Christmas, even if I DOES have
to come from "Santa". ;-)

Steve

removing grout by power tool [email protected] UK diy 20 November 6th 06 10:18 AM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM
Tool for removing a tree stump? Lobster UK diy 30 August 15th 05 10:50 AM
Reconnecting wiring after removing light Andy UK diy 2 May 29th 04 10:28 PM