Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refridgerator Woes (Sorry If This Came Through Twice!)

Sorry for the double post (if it does). I've been having posting
problems lately...

I have an older model (1994, I think) GE fridge (top freezer
model)
that recently decided it didn't want to cool the fresh-food section.
removed the back freezer panel, and sure enough, lots of ice build-
up...
I take it this means the defrosting system is compromised. Fine and
dandy... I used the hair dryer trick, and over the course of the next
two hours, I completely defrosted every bit of ice I could see in the
freezer, made sure the evaporator fan was running, and made sure when
aimed the hair dryer down the vent, I could feel the air moving into
the
fresh-food compartment. I also vacuumed the coils underneath the
fridge while I was at it.

Put everything back together, plug it in, and the fresh food
section
still isn't cooling (gave it 4 hours, and it got to a frigid 56
degrees). I can feel very little air moving out of the vent from the
freezer to the fridge. The freezer fan IS running and blowing air
into
the freezer... I don't understand why its not also blowing into the
fridge.

Is it possible that there was just enough of an opening in the air
vent for the hair dryer to force warm air through, but not enough for
the freezer fan to push cold air through?

I can replace the thermostat and related items, but if cold air
isn't
getting moved into the fresh food compartment, what's the point?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 2:06*pm, Ryan P wrote:
[...]

The problem is it's a GE which stands for Good Enough. But is it
really..?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ryan P" wrote in message
[...]

You did not mention whether you had determined that the condensate water
drain was clear or whether the defrost timer, heater, and thermostat were
working properly. Also, are you sure that the damper in the air passage from
the freezer into the refrigerator is wide open. That setting would likely be
marked for MINIMUM FREEZER temperature.

Many of these units have the thermostat in the refrigerator and the
evaporator in the freezer. Temperatures are balanced by controlling the
airflow from the freezer to the refrigerator. It can take a really long time
(2 or 3 days) for the temperatures to stabilize and if you keep opening the
door(s) to check the temperatures or to add food to either side, they never
will. Also, when you open either door, the airflows are changed by the open
door.

So your only problem is likely to be the failure to properly defrost and
dispose of the water.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2009 8:33 PM, Don Young wrote:

[...]

I assumed the drain was clear because as I defrosted the freezer, the
catch basin on the bottom of the unit filled up. Thinking back, perhaps
it was blocked by a bit of ice at some point, and simply spiraled out of
control from there?

I *DID* find the reason that it wasn't cooling after my initial
defrost. Apparently I accidentally warped a piece of plastic that lined
the air passage way from the freezer to the fridge, so only a trickle of
air was moving down. I opened the passageway back up (two short pieces
of doweling), and that seemed to do the trick. I don't remember holding
the blow dryer close to anything for any length of time, but obviously I
must have.

If the coils freeze up again, I imagine that indicates the defrosting
system is on the fritz, and I'll have to pull out a voltage meter and
decide if its the heater or the thermostat.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Hopefully, a blocked water line
will be the only problem next time!

new refridgerator oil leaking??? Gary Home Repair 6 June 2nd 08 12:12 AM
Do I need a new thermostat for my GE Refridgerator Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 3 December 13th 07 12:38 PM
refridgerator defrost zekor Home Repair 2 May 24th 07 01:09 PM
Deepfreeze Refridgerator Wayne UK diy 2 May 6th 06 10:34 AM
Refridgerator is warm Scott Home Repair 4 September 12th 04 01:14 AM